mac mail, pop?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lorenzo, Aug 26, 2005.

1. lorenzo macrumors member

wanting to know if there are any free online emails that are pop that i could use with mac mail? id love to use mac mail but dont have a .mac account nor do i own a domain for the pop mail.

thanks! please help!

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You can use Yahoo, hotmail or Gmail. Almost any free service allows pop access.

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Actually, I know Yahoo only allows POP if you pay for their priceier service, I think it might be the same with hotmail. I got a Gmail account specifically to use with Mail because they allow you to use POP, and are free.

If you need a Gmail account, I have 50 invites just sittin' around, just PM me and I'll send you one.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think Hotmail offers free POP either. However, there is this plug-in to get Hotmail in Mail.app which works rather nicely.

Reports on Yahoo seem to be mixed. I only got free POP service while I was a Yahoo SBC DSL customer. I don't anymore. But some people say, perhaps in the UK? That it's free for them.

I don't see a compelling reason to use Yahoo Mail or Hotmail over GMail at the present... although I have all three.

5. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

I love yahoo mail. Its $20 a year but you get pop and disposable addresses unlimited. I have an email address for every place I register that way if I start getting spammed I can eliminate that email address. Funny though. Now that I am not using my comcast email account I get no spam. Those bastards along with brighthouse networks are soley responsible for all spam in the US. They sell your email. Literally the same day I got comcast I had 13 spam emails in my inbox. Yahoo mail rocks.