.mac Mail syncing question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anthonymoody, Oct 26, 2005.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I'm an email archiver. I save just about every email I get. They're saved in a series of folders (I guess technically they're mailboxes) in Mail. It's very important to me for a variety of reasons that I do this.

I've read the FAQ, watched the Apple video about it, etc. but can't get a definitive answer as to whether the Mail syncing in .Mac would include these folders and the messages (and attachments) inside. It's many gigs of data, thousands of messages. Will this sync through .mac Mail syncing?

If not (as is), any way to get to do so?

TIA,
    TM

2. peterparker macrumors regular

peterparker

If you have .Mac mail then it is all on Apple servers, there is no syncing necessary. .Mac can synchronize mail accounts, rules, signatures and smart mailboxes.

3. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't use .mac mail. I have a few POP3 accounts (including 1 gmail account) and I also POP into hotmail with mail. What you wrote is the part that's not clear to me: ".Mac can synchronize mail accounts, rules, signatures and smart mailboxes."

When it says mail accounts, does it mean the mailboxes you've set up too (and the messages stored therein)? Or only the accounts themselves? They specify smart mailboxes but not 'regular' mailboxes. Is this b/c 'regular' mailboxes aren't synced? Or are they included when they say mail accounts?

TM

4. peterparker macrumors regular

peterparker

Unless I am very mistaken, they only sychronize the configuration of the accounts, smart mailboxes, etc... Not the data.

5. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

Got it. Thanks Peter. That's what I thought/feared. I guess I could set one mac to leave all the message on the server and use the other to do the archiving...

TM