Mac Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cgratti, Mar 7, 2005.

1. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

I send attached pictures to a Windoze machine, but the attachment can't be opened. I sent .jpg pictures to the windows machine and it for some reason splits the .jpg file in two? And it will not open inside Outlook Express or with Microsoft Picture and Fax viewer. Is my Mac encoding these pictures and files and Windows cant read them? Is there a way to set mail so windows users can see the images? this also happens with all files sent, it splits them. I was using stuff-it to ZIP the files then they would be fine when sent to a Windows machine. That's too much work though to always have to ZIP files to send to a windows machine. Everything works great if I send to another Mac machine.

When using Microsoft Entourage, I can choose Windows format and they are seen by the windows machines. But, I dont want to have to use Entourage for mail, I like Mac Mail better.

iMac G5
    OSX 10.3.8
    All updates are current.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've sent jpgs without trouble although occasionally the person at the other end gets a thumbnail and the bigger image.

Have you turned on 'Send Windows Friendly Attachments'? You can find it at the bottom of the dialogue where you select the files to attach or from the Edit>Attachments>Always send Windows Friendly Attachments

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

When you attach the file tick off "Send Windows Friendly Attachments".

edit: crap, by the time I've finished sorting out the pic I get beaten to it!

Attached Files:

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

hmmm i didnt even know that was an option, and i've never had a problem sending out attachments to my buddies, all of who use Windows...

5. cgratti thread starter macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Ahhhhhh, got it now...

I never used the "ADD ATTACHMENT" button before. I would just Drag and drop my photo onto the MAIL icon on the dock and it would attach it then..

Good to know!

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's split into a resource fork and a data fork. That's how the Mac OS (and HFS*) works to store file info. Windows doesn't use it, so the 2 pieces (that are hidden from the user on a Mac) of the pie appear on a WinTelThon box.

Zipping them scraps that resource fork, which is why your friends don't see it..

7. cgratti thread starter macrumors 6502a

cgratti

good to know..

Also, Draggin and Dropping Photos onto the Mail icon on the dock splits them, you must choose the ADD ATTACHMENT method for it to work.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes good to know, thanks for that added info Yellow

i guess i will be a bit more cautious of now i send out my emails with attachments from now on

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Usually, as long as the file has the proper file extension (suffix) and the Windows user choose the data fork (not the file name ._foo.foo), they will have no problems opening the file.

I did a wee bit of testing and you should simply turn on Mail.app -> Edit pull-down -> Attachments -> check "Always send Windows friendly attachments". Then it doesn't matter how you attach a file to the email.

10. cgratti thread starter macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Awesome thanks!

This Board Rules! What a great bunch of Mac Addicts in this forum.