Mac mail

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by BiggeeC, Jan 2, 2003.

1. BiggeeC macrumors regular

hey everybody. I was curious if there was a way to open a .mac e-mail account without having to pay the $100/year. Or, maybe there is some other way to get a Mac account other than .Mac. Thanks

Chris

2. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

i don't think there is, at least not legally.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

There isn't period.

4. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Of course there is.

If you don't want to pay $100 annually, you can look for .Mac retail boxes, which have been seen on sale os low as $59.95.

Additionally, you could try to negotiate the purchase of a new computer to include a .Mac retail box (at the seller's discretion).

If you want one for free, there are some Apple affiliate programs which you may (or may not) be able to join, which give .Mac as a points based reward.

By the way, .Mac is still a ridiculous name.

5. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

You can also find someone you know that has a .Mac account already to let you get an e-mail address through them for $10.00 a year.

Regards,
    Gus

6. awulf macrumors 6502

If you want a free mail account SpyMac have a good free service like 25MB Pop & Webmail plus SMTP. Their webmail interface isn't bad, plus they don't add any ads or what not to your e-mail messages. Your e-mail would be something@spymac.com.

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Re: Mac mail

The answers I've seen elsewhere are good, but kind of avoid the concern I immediately had, namely, "what the hell does this question mean?" I can't come up with any interpretation of it that doesn't involve some fundamental misunderstanding of something.

8. yamadataro macrumors 6502

They have 60-day trial thingy going on.
    You might be able to just cancel the service before they start charging you and start all over again.

I'm just hoping that there will be new .Mac services coming up on 7th, so that you and anybody else would not have to cancel anything...