Mac Mall employee Discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Jedi128, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Hey, I was just at macmall.com and they said there is an employee discount on mac products, but you have to select the item (put in shopping cart) to see the price. When i did this it only took like $40 off of a 2Ghz 17" iMac? Whats the deal? $40 off sucks! Thats no discount!

2. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

These are old news my friend. :cool:

3. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Yup, old. :D

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The employee discount was 5% when I bought my iPod (not from MacMall though). Ended up being about $20 off. It sounds like the MacMall discount must be less than 5% to get only $40 off an iMac! :eek:

5. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Isn't this the discount that was *up to* 38% off?

6. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Yeah. But the key word is "up to." In order to get the 38% off, I'm sure you'd have to buy their top of the line PowerMac G5 with a 30" ACD or something. Not much of a discount for other stuff.

7. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Well, right. That's why I emphasized the "up to" part. That kind of stuff drives me nuts. Pretty much makes me thing the vendor is a bunch of sleazeballs.

8. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Most vendors are sleazeballs. No one, and I mean no one, goes into business to make the world a better place. It's all about money and how much of it you can get. That's the nature of business.

9. theISHkid macrumors regular

The first thing you have to realize... is apple probably doesn't give these companies much of a price break to begin with... as in macmall probably does not make much money on hardware items. So they probably can't afford to give their workers a huge discount in the first place. Aside from that, even huge companies like walmart only give employees 10% off so I wouldn't expect much more from anyone else... you might be able to get the full 38% off on some apple software.