Mac Media Center

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zflauaus, Jun 5, 2005.

1. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    I've been thinking of making a TiVo out of a computer. I love TiVo, it's just too expensive for me. I'm a broke student. I've been thinking about putting a TV Tuner card in my PC, but my computer does not like to respond a lot, and it's kinda old. I want my room at least to be PC free in a couple of years, excluding a backup PC in my closet. I want to make a Media Center out of a Mac. I was thinking of getting a Mac Mini and getting the EyeTV 200, and putting it in the basement, because I don't have satellite in my room. But when I looked up the price for the EyeTV 200, it was a little expensive. Is there any alternative to the EyeTV?
  2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Apr 19, 2005
    lol.. you're a broke college student... but you want to spend $1000+ on a tivo.. instead of paying what... $50-100 for a tivo? lol.. hahahahaha oh man.. you guys crack me up sometimes.
  3. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004

I'm not a college student. I'm only in middle-school, but know a lot. People tell me I should be in college though. Anyways, I might forget the Mac Media Center unless I come across a really, really good deal.
  4. virus1 macrumors 65816

Jun 24, 2004
    hey.. im in middle school too.. but only until thursday when i graduate.. palo alto.. i think he wants to get a mac anyways. i hate tivo. the comcast imitation is better.. (just because i have it though). if you have comcast, ask ur parents. it is like $5- $10 extra a month.

(200th post!!)
  5. echeck macrumors 68000

Apr 20, 2004
    Boise, Idaho
    Well, I certainly agree with this part. I think Mac Mini's have a LOT of potential for becoming media centers. I'm going to buy one after the next update (please come this week!) and turn it in to a different kind of media center. I don't plan on using it as a recorder, just a media player since I have a lot of media files on my computers.

Anyway, all I'm sayin is that I think a Mac Mini would be a great choice for what you want to do, though I can't help ya as far as the EyeTV thing. ;)
  6. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    I found a Cube on eBay. Would a 450 MHz, 640 MB Cube G4 be able to handle the EyeTV 200?