Mac mini 1.25 or 1.4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by robocop2000, Jan 14, 2005.

1. robocop2000 macrumors member

Looking at getting my first mac, and as I'm on a budget thinking mac mini.

I'm trying to decide between the two models. I already have a 250gig external firewire drive so the addition HD on the 1.4 model is more or less irrelavant but my question is:

Is it worth the extra 100euro for an extra 0.17 ghz ?

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I don't think so... It probably won't be much of a speed boost. ;)

3. StylePower macrumors newbie

Go for the cheapest one. I don't think it is too slow for budget users, it's just as fast as the iMac G4 were, and that's allright! :)

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

nope... that extra money would be better spent on upping the RAM.

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Your extra cash would be far better served by upping the RAM than by increasing the processor speed by such a small amount.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I am going the opposite way. The real difference is only $50 after you factor in the larger HDD. Not a bad price difference for a small bit of speed. Because in 6 to 9 months it is possible that the 1.4 (or a 1.5) may be the entry level Mac mini.

7. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

get the 1.25Ghz mini and 512MB ram...

I'm on a 1Ghz tiBook with 512MB and with your external drive you should be set up just fine.

don't spend too much, the low end model is enough for everything you will want to do (except excessive 3d gaming, but get an X-Box or Gamecube for that anyways...)

vSpacken

8. 3Memos macrumors 6502

9. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I want ot buy the mac mini but

I want to be able to have Tiger on it, and I want it to be fully compatible as well.

So if I buy it now it will not be fully compatible and will not have Tiger :(
    How long would I have to wait untill a Mac mini comes with Tiger and a core image compatible GPU. (would it have the same price with tiger or :confused: )

When is Tiger going to be released(it is said that within the first 1/2 of 2005 but in 1,2,3++ months or :confused:

Is it worth waiting for it to have Tiger and a better GPU

I would like to have it as soon as possible but, would be bad to buy and 2 months later it has Tiger($129) and a better GPU($xx)

Thanks

10. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

WOW!!

The first person ever in the entire history of computing to think he/she has enough storage space!!!!! ;)

11. ScubaDuc macrumors 6502

ScubaDuc

What do you want to do with the Mini? That is what shoud drive your decision.

If you want to do some DV editing, it seems you have to capture on the internal HD so the extra size comes in handy. The processor speed wont make much difference in everyday apps but you will save about 15 ' in rendering a 1 Hr movie.

If you do not plan to get into editing in the near future, then you can get by with the basic config and just buy a new one when you need to

I see upgrading the RAM to 512 as almost a "must" on any configuration but will it be enough? Perhaps it is better to take a L.T. view and go with third party 1 Gig directly, especially if you leave in the EU and travel to the US regularly... I do most of my shopping on line and have it shipped to a friend house :D However, I will by the mini locally for the warranty, just in case, the difference is not that much