Mac mini 1.25 vs. 1.42

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AndrewTosh, Jan 12, 2005.

1. AndrewTosh macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2005
    I am going to be buying a Mac mini in the near future. I'm confident that I can upgrade the RAM myself, after all, I did replace the AC/Sound board in my old Lombard:

(and yes, I got it back together! ;) )

Okay, silly pictures aside, do you guys think the 1.42 ghz G4 is worth the additional $100? The extra 40gb is nice, but really if I want more storage I have Firewire and USB 2 enclosures around the house that I can put a big, cheap IDE drive in when I feel the need to. The 80gb drive is basically worthless to me.

I just feel like it might be worth upgrading the part that would be cost-prohibitive, if not impossible to replace, the CPU. Then again, $100 is 1/5 of the Mac mini's price, and it probably only makes a marginal difference.

Am I going to notice any huge difference? Will there be a point where the 1.25 isn't fast enough for some stuff, but the 1.42 is? What do you guys think?

2. yamabushi macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2003
    The performance difference would be barely noticeable if at all. Make sure you upgrade the RAM from 256 since that will provide a noticeable improvement. I plan on getting the 1.42 with most of the options myself and a few 1.25's with 512 RAM and iSight cameras as gifts.
  3. AndrewTosh thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2005
    Thanks. :) Yeah, I'm just going to put 1GB in. 1.25Ghz should really be more than enough. I'm typing this now on a Pismo G3/500 and use a Duron 1.1Ghz as my PC, both of which I find to be pretty usable.