mac mini 1.42 and 23" acd

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by midnitevulture, Jan 11, 2005.

1. midnitevulture macrumors newbie

is this a good idea? Without question I'm going to buy a 23", but my budget is around $2500 so i'll either get a cheap pc with decent components or the iMac mini.

Although I would MUCH rather have a mac than a pc, I'll be forced to buy a pc if the mini can't handle the 23. Right now my thinking is that I'll get a pc over a mac before i'll settle for a smaller screen, as screens last longer than computers.

That is, unless someone can convince me that the mini can handle the 23..... ;)

2. mauly macrumors 6502

you sound like you don't want to be convinced - just get a pc!!!!

3. mackaikai macrumors newbie

Mac mini provides a DVI connector so you can take advantage of the clarity a pure digital signal provides on LCDs with a digital interface, such as a 20-inch or 23-inch Apple Cinema Display. These state of the art monitors provide the crispest, clearest display for any purpose. Of course, you can use Mac mini with almost any display with a DVI connector, or use the VGA adapter to connect a CRT or LCD monitor that uses analog signal. The optional Composite/S-Video Video adapter lets you use a TV for graphical output.

directly from apple.com

4. betsbillabong macrumors regular

No, I think he's trying to figure out whether the graphics card will support the 23". It's a 32MB 9200, right? Quick answer: call Apple, to be sure.

5. betsbillabong macrumors regular

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

From Apple itself:

Edit: D'oh! Started to reply, went away, was beaten to it by mackaikai. Slightly different quote, but same general source.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It will work.

And if it doesn't, ship it to me. :p

8. midnitevulture thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, I think I phrased my question incorrectly. I had already read that the mini "supports" the 23" acd, but my question is different.

Here's my new and improved question:

I know probably nobody has experience with such a configuration yet, but based on people's experiences with similar computers (g4's, ati 9200's), do you think the mini will be able to operate very well with such a big screen?

I'll use it to watch DVD's, play some old-school UT, surf the internet, store and edit photos, music and low-res videos, use MS Office, etc. I usually have a lot of things going on at once, but I'm also ready to sacrifice speed for lower cost.

Thanks for the advice.