Mac Mini 1.5 where to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by psziel, Jan 29, 2006.

1. psziel macrumors member

HI, looking to get a another mac added to my home, but i'm looking to at least get the 1.5 version. Anyone know if that is what Apple is sending out in place of the 1.42's? Or is it a crap shoot. I live in illinois and tried to get the woodfield store to tell me if they had any but they give the standard answer, that they only have to be min. of the specs on the box. if any one has a contact in that store please let me know.

thanks everyone :D

2. Mr Paw macrumors newbie

I've had two mini's since December as I am buying them for parents and in-laws. Both were 1.5GHz. I read somewhere that if the serial number starts with YM538 or higher you will get the 1.5GHz version.

Mine were both purchased through an authorized distributor (home based business) and he got one from Calgary AB and the other from Vancouver BC.

One was the midrange and the other the highend model. I don't think the lowend unit has that chip in it.

3. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You should have better chances of the upgrade now that they've cleared their
    stock of older units, but there is still no guarantee.

I've heard of members buying directly at their local AppleStore and getting the upgrade, others were not so lucky.

I would go to the store and just tell them flat out you'll buy the 1.5GHz 64MB VRAM model only and see what they say.

4. psziel thread starter macrumors member

I will try the direct approach in the next store i come across...i tried at the woodfield store and the first guy looked at me like i just ordered a BigMac from him and the second attempt was the guy said you get what i bring out of the back room :(

But if any one in these forums work at any of the illinois store shoot me a PM.