Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cunomore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2016
Hi Mac Experts,

My Mac mini (mid 2011 Model:A1347) is driving me crazy.
After I changed MY HD to an SSD I accidentally popped of the connector port on the logic board. I also lost one of the tiny connectors inside the connector on the kitchen floor never to be found again.

After looking for a solution I found that I was not the first to experience that problem, and there are a lot of solutions/workarounds on the internet. But no one seems to help me.

Luckily I have access to professional "solder people" on my work, so I thought the best solution were to just cut off the connector and get the wires soldered directly on the logic board.

Now my FAN is running at 6500 RPM at alltime. I tried to download a ton of fan controlling programs to set the speed manually, but they have no impact on the fan speed. The Person who soldered it for me did it under microscope and guaranteed that there is no connection between the wires (He Checked twice).
One of the Pictures I have attached is showing where I had the wires soldered. Is that the right order?
And the other picture shows my Mac mini after its soldered.

I have read every thread there is on this subject, and it seems that there are many different reaons why the FAN goes haywire. One of them is also that the HDD temp sensor is disconnected. But On my model there was no external thermal sensor on the Hard drive. I read that it was because on later models Apple started to use the HD´s firmware(SMART) to deliver temp information. Therefor I tried to put the old HDD back in, but still its running 6500 rpm. After every hardware change I reset SMC and PRAM.
This morning when I powered up my mac with the old HDD(It was disconnected from power all night), The Fan finally did not run at 6500 rpm but faster than normal. But only for like 5 seconds, then it was back to full speed.

There is a workaround where you cut a USB-cable and wire it into the mac connection only with 5v. But that will be my absolute last choice.

I would really Appreciate if anyone can come up with suggestions what to do/try next.

Best Regards
Chirstian
MyMac.jpg

HowIPutTheWires.jpg

grcar

Suspended
Sep 28, 2014
I am not an expert and I hate to say it but I think you are screwed.

Look on the Apple website for the list of authorized repair shops near you.

Or, if you want to continue down this road, you can buy the fans on eBay. Search for "MC816LL/A fan"

cunomore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2016
I am not an expert and I hate to say it but I think you are screwed.

Look on the Apple website for the list of authorized repair shops near you.

Or, if you want to continue down this road, you can buy the fans on eBay. Search for "MC816LL/A fan"
[doublepost=1476019748][/doublepost]Thx, l allready ordered a new fan. I can allways hook it to an usb port and let it run at half speed...

Kaida

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2016
Singapore
it seems that you have the 1234 and abcd wrong, 1 should be going to the bottom instead of the top. hope this pic will help.
Zi3ZvUn.jpg

legittree

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2020
I just want an update about this because im having the same issue on this same model. The only difference is that I was able to solder back on the connector you lost.
Would love a response if you were able to find a solution!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.