Mac Mini ... 40Gb to 80Gb upgrade - how?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by monty77, Mar 11, 2005.

1. monty77 macrumors 6502

Righto .. I have a new 80Gb 2.5" 9.5mm IBM HDD sitting here, plan to swap it with the 40Gb in my Mini.

Is there an easy way to 'clone' my 40 onto the new 80 so that I dont have to go through a reinstall?

...I have an external (Firewire) DVD writer and 250Gb HFS formatted drive to use if required.

Cheers!
    Adam

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Cloning to the external and then back to the 80gb... or opening the external and putting the 80gb in there :eek:

Use Carbon Copy Cloner (google it, it's free)

3. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool .. how does it work though??

I'm thinking I clone my 40Gb to the external then swap drives. How do I boot to OSX to re copy the drive over? Does CC boot from CD?

...cant put the interal drive in my external enclosure unfortunately :(

Cheers,
    Adam

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Good point. Hmmm... Can you boot from the external?

Or possibly, temporarily plug the 80gb drive into the IDE lead that's connected to the CC/DVD drive. I've done this before on older Macs.

5. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmmm ... I'll have to take a look, laptop HDD isn't a std IDE connector though is it?

Adam

6. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502

We have a problem houston :(

Used carbon cloner to clone the internal drive to the new HDD mounted in an external enclosure .. all went well. Swapped over the internal drive for the new one...went pretty smooth, easy swap.

Went to reboot, nothing. Grey screen and eventually folder icon with '?' displayed in it, like it cannot find the HDD. OK, swap the old HDD back in - same thing.......AARRRGGGHHH!!! What have I done?

Cheers,
    Adam

7. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mini wont boot since HD swap

We have a problem houston

Used carbon cloner to clone the internal drive to the new HDD mounted in an external enclosure .. all went well. Swapped over the internal drive for the new one...went pretty smooth, easy swap.

Went to reboot, nothing. Grey screen and eventually folder icon with '?' displayed in it, like it cannot find the HDD. OK, swap the old HDD back in - same thing.......AARRRGGGHHH!!! What have I done?

Tried rebooting with harware test disc in drive, get screen with reboot and next icon but nothing else ?!?!

Ideas?

Cheers,
    Adam

8. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Sorry im changing subject but how did you overclock the mini?

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

they forgot to tell you it would be eaisest if OSX was installed on the external .... doesn't sound like it is. From this point i would just inserty your install CD and reinstall your stuff
    then take your documents and person stuff from the CCC deal

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Sounds like Carbon Copy Cloner hasn't been updated to be compatible with 10.3.8 or the Mac mini. You may have to backup and do a clean install.

11. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nuts :(

Will it be possible to get stuff like my mail from Entourage from the old HDD too?

Thanks,
    Adam

12. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

yes.

13. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool :)

Any hints? What's the naming convention for mail files? .mbox? Any idea where they're located?

Thx,
    Adam