Mac Mini 802.11n Speculation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rugbyboy, Sep 28, 2006.

1. rugbyboy macrumors member

rugbyboy

Afternoon

I am moving my Mac to work (started new company - cross everything for me!) and want to get a new mac for my home. I was thinking about a Mac Mini as they are cheap and i wont need much horsepower at home - just email, web and music.

Here's the question: I know they were updated recently but do we reckon the Mac Mini might feature pre 802.11n spec wireless at any point in the near future? I saw they had been turning up undocumented in iMacs. I will consider buying an iTV 9'pending final specs) and wouldn't want to have a Mini that was unable to connect to it

Your thought/speculation/musings would be lovely

Ben

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

Probably not, IMO Apple is really cheaping out on this box, with Core Duo processors when they could have gotten Core II Duo chips at the same speeds.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would agree with generik, it looks like to me the n standard is showing in the Duo2 Cores not the Duo series so unless Im wrong you have to have that cpu. When Mini gets the Duo 2 which I would guess in late January then it will. Someone please correct me if Im wrong.

4. generik macrumors 601

generik

It has nothing to do with the CPU as those wireless radios are made by Broadcom, but what I meant is Apple really seems to be cheaping out on what goes into the Mini quite a lot in contrast to the other lines, it just seems to me that they put whatever lousy spare parts that are too slow to be used elsewhere into the Mini and just sell it as a computer.

Not that I am complaining, but if the OP is looking for value he should look elsewhere, especially at the iMacs.

5. rugbyboy thread starter macrumors member

rugbyboy

Hmmm

Value is definitely the spirit here - i have a big screen TV i can plug it into

size is good

I'm a long term mac person - have had one since my first LC. so i know the mini is not hugely powerful. at home i don't need much from it y'see

What would you suggest as a better option then? an iMac is a little big for me...

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

So are you saying the N standard is in the airport hardware?

7. generik macrumors 601

generik

Yeap, at least the iMacs have the newer Airport modules that support the pre-draft N standard.

8. JAT macrumors 603