Mac Mini Advice...(Newbie to Mac)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by chiefreborn, Jul 7, 2005.

1. chiefreborn macrumors newbie

Hey all, new to the forums. I just need some advice about the Mac Mini. Should I buy the Mini before the Intel move, or after? I am a frequent listener of TWiT (http://thisweekintech.com) and they have had some conversation about this, but some of them are in favor of Intel, and some of the PowerPC. Just some advice for a Mac newbie please!

2. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

i dont think it matters its $500 dollar computer if you can hold off then fine but if you want/need a computer now then get it. But throw in a gig of ram it makes a world of a diffrence. if you where thinking of getting a powermac then i would say maybe to wait but its $500 bucks even if the intel mini comes out early next year, sell the other one and buy the new one :) .

3. chiefreborn thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I don't need it right away, and actually I was going to put 1GB of RAM into it. Just wondering what your opinions are.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you say right away, what exactly do you mean? There isn't going to be an Intel-based option for you for at least one year, at the very minimum...and possibly even longer. I would think you could at the very worst buy it and then re-sell it before the Intels come out for a relatively minimal loss. So I guess, if I were you, it would depend more on what else I would do with the money at the moment than the Intel/PPC issue.

5. chiefreborn thread starter macrumors newbie

All I really meant is that I feel like dabbling in Mac, having never used any type of Mac OS before, and maybe using it for some video/audio editing, and some games, 3d stuff, etc. So it's not really important to get it soon.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, don't buy anything unless you actually want it... ;) But based on your shopping list, I would think you can have a lot of fun on the PPC Mini now.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I expect a Mini Rev B to appear in the near future (ie- before the move to intel next year- if then for the mini) and would wait for that (but not for the intel mini).

But if you need a computer now than spring for a 1.42GHz mini w/1GB DDR333. Swopping out the mini's internal 4200rpm HD w/ a 7200rpm HD will also give you a nice performance boost.

Either way you go you should be happy!

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Agreed, just the price of the mini for Mac OS X is worth it in my opinion.

9. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Once the Intel Mac Mini arrives it could possibly be cheaper to part the lowest end Mac Mini out. I'd imagine the demand for the PPC MMs would decrease OR they might become more in demand, we'll see. If it decreases parting it could yield more money.

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Sure, get it now! Its a very fast machine (double CPU speed as my eMac ;))

11. chiefreborn thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks everybody! Now all I have to do is save up for it...*Oh how I wish I had a job, I am only 13...*