Mac Mini and 30" ACD (Seriously)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hibbity, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Hibbity macrumors member

Feb 28, 2005
    Would it be possible to hook a 30" up to a mini and run it at 1920 x 1200? I don't game or do anything really intensive, but i'd like to have the high resolution for the ps3. I'll probably end up with a 23, but would it even be possible to run a 30 at a lower res?
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    No. The 30" screen requires a dual-link DVI interface, which the mini doesn't have, and no LCD should ever be run at a resolution other than it's native resolution.

The best you can do for the mini would be to buy the 23" display, run it at it's native 1920x1200. Using a 30" in this way would be a total waste of time and money - not to mention impossible.
  3. jsarrasinjr macrumors member

Mar 21, 2005
    western MA
    something to consider

if you're just looking for a nice 30" display, you could always get a decent 30" lcd tv that runs at a lower resolution than does the ACD which although awesome, may be a bit much for what you need and it will still look great with the ps3

just my 2cents
  4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    I agree with you that it shoudn't be used, but a 30" does work at lower resolutions.
    So, hooking a 30" up to a Mac mini will give you a picture, but at a lower resolution than the default resolution (2560 x 1600), resulting in a blurred picture.
    In no way justifiable to hook a 30" to a non-Dual-link DVI Mac...
  5. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    How can you hook a PS3 to an ACD anyway? Not sure what outputs the PS3 will have, but the 360 won't even hook up to it.

You might want to go with a Dell LCD. The 24" LCD is somewhere around $1000.
  6. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2004
    The playstation 3 has HDMI outputs which can be converted to DVI. But i dont know if the ps3 has encryption in the dvi signal or not.
  7. Uma888 macrumors 6502

Jan 10, 2005
    Birmingham, United Kingdom
    Remember, when you convert HDMI > DVI, you loose sound, as DVI is ONLY for VIDEO

PS3 might use HDCP

If the mini had a decent GFX card then it could drive the 30" beast.
  8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    But the PS3 is not going to have dual-link DVI so it won't run a 30" LCD. It will have 2 HDMI ports but this is not the same thing. It can run 2 screens but two ports cannot be combined to give dual-link.

The maximum resolution of games on a PS3 will be 1080i which the 30" is well above.
  9. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2004
    True, True.
    hibbity i would just get a 23" or a dell flat panel.
  10. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    Wait for that Dell 3007FWP 30". I am sure it will have all the connections you need.
  11. ingenious macrumors 65832

Jan 13, 2004
    Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)

Um, the new Apple displays are all DVI...
  12. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

Jan 11, 2002
    Bay Area, Ca.
    For the last time, Dual Link DVI is a single #*(&ing DVI plug, in fact it looks EXACTLY like the ones on PowerBooks, PowerMacs, and just about every other mac out there that has a DVI port.

This compares the various types of DVI plugs:

Almost every graphics card I know of uses DVI-I plugs, along with your average display (LCDs connected via DVI use the DVI-D part of the connector), and as you can see on a single-link DVI interface, the middle pins of the DVI connector you all know and love is just simply not utilized.

This is how ADC worked while still having a rather similar connector to DVI; It used all of those extra pins for USB signal and such along with a few other extra pins, not to mention the analog pins for the rare ADC 17" CRT. Of course, this is also why they didn't continue ADC support with the introduction of the 30" display.

As you see, Dual Link DVI uses the same old DVI jack, a single connection at that, it just utilizes pins that weren't previously utilized by the video card or the monitor. This sort of stuff aint new either, VGA connectors in many instances have "empty pins" (ever notice them "missing" on your monitor's plug?)

I hope that clears things up a little :)

Oh yeah, and there are HDMI to DVI connectors that split off the audio output, I'm sure :)
  13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Can be confusing:

ADC = Apple Display Connector (or Apple Developer Connection... ;) )
    ACD = Apple Cinema Display

So one can be part of the ADC for ADC development on ACDs... I think :)
  14. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005