Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I don't see how a stereo headphone Y splitter (the RS part referenced) is working for you.

You are looking for a cable that has a 1/8" stereo plug on one end (for the Audio out of the Mini) and two mono male RCA plugs on the other, which will go into some Left and Right line inputs on your receiver. These inputs may be labelled "CD", "Tape In" or "Aux". "Phono" inputs on the receiver are not the correct ones to use.

You may have to play with the volume levels on the Mini to get a good match for the stereo.

It sounds like right now you have either 1) a bad cable 2) plugged into the phono inputs, or 3) the volume on the Mini turned way down.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Yes -- you got the wrong adapter.

That adapter is not even 'earth-shielded' hence the hum.

You need something like this. You will need RCA leads to hook it up to your stereo.

This one comes as a complete cable unit.

dont24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
You can ingore. Very dumb "user error" :eek: I have the correct cables and adapter. One is a 1/8" to right/left rca, which goes to my receiver. Other is 1/8" on both end , connect to my computer speakers. No more hum. My son partially unplugged on of the cables, hence the hum. What do you mean by 'earth-shielded'? Should I be using a different type of adapter?

crowdaddy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2004
East Ontario
I have a monstercable splitter with the red and white RCA's on one end and a headphone jack on the other, the whole cable being around 10 ft. long, and it works great.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
dont24 said:
What do you mean by 'earth-shielded'?

Low-signal cables (line audio etc.) typically have an internal stranded wire with a braided cable around its core, separated by an insulating layer.

This braided cable is connected to the earth path and provides shielding from interference... similar to the way AM radio in the car might disappear if you go into a tunnel.

Cut open an RCA cable and you'll see what I mean. Ordinary TV aerial cable is the same...

However, if your adapter is working now then no need to worry...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.