Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dont24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
I just bought my mini this weekend. First time Mac user. I have a Dell 2001FP using the native resolution, 1600x1200. I noticed I don't get the spinning cube when changing users. Resolution issue and 32MB video card issue? My question is, is there any other "eye candy" I'm missing, using a mini?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
It's quite possible that the combination of video card and monitor you have doesn't work perfectly with Quartz Extreme - hence why you don't see the spinning cube effect. I have no idea why this would be or suggestions on what to try to improve matters.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm also guessing that the graphics card on the mini, coupled with the relatively high native resolution of the display, is causing the problem - try lowering the res just to see (not suggesting you run at less than 1600x1200, just trying to see if that's the problem).

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I used to use a iBook (on a mini now, too! :D), and I do see the cube effect when I switch users on the Radeon 7500. But only once... Meaning if I switch to another user for the first time, I see the cube effect. Any switching back or forth afterwards always have that fade to gray "effect", no cubes.

dont24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
I'll give it a try when I get home. I suspect if I lower the resolution, it'll work. Is there any other effects I'm missing out on, because of the 32MB video card? I'll assume a PM G5 running 1600x1200 will have no problem with the spinning cube?

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2004
dont24 said:
I'll give it a try when I get home. I suspect if I lower the resolution, it'll work. Is there any other effects I'm missing out on, because of the 32MB video card? I'll assume a PM G5 running 1600x1200 will have no problem with the spinning cube?

it wasn't completely obvious to me at first, but you have to do the Fast User Switching - not just a normal log out, log in with another user. make sure you're using the correct method. it threw me for a loop too, at first. i'm certain that it doesn't have anything to do with the Mini's video capabilities, as my sister's clamshell iBook even displays the "rotating cube" effect.

dont24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
I found an older PM G4 with a 32MB video card at work. If I set the resolution to 1600x1200, no spinning cube. When I drop the resolution to 1280x1024, I get the spinning cube. Interesting.....

dont24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
I dropped my mini's resolution to 1280x1024 and the spinning cube works. Oh well. Neat effect, but not needed.

PhantomOSX

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2004
USA
603 said:
it wasn't completely obvious to me at first, but you have to do the Fast User Switching - not just a normal log out, log in with another user. make sure you're using the correct method. it threw me for a loop too, at first. i'm certain that it doesn't have anything to do with the Mini's video capabilities, as my sister's clamshell iBook even displays the "rotating cube" effect.

I'm pretty sure he knows it only works with FUS, it has everything to do with the capabilities of the mini's 9200. It's strickly a hardware limitation as far as I know. Though I haven't tried it with anything higher than a 9200.

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
Its not the 9200 thats limiting the Quartz extreme effects, its the 32mb of video memory. Simply put, 32mb isn't enough to render both screens seen during the cube transition (because for a brief moment, you can see both desktops at once as the cube rotates). If the Mini had 64mb of video memory, it would not suffer from this problem.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
I started messing around with this on my G5 dual 2.0 with a 64 mb Radeon 9600.

I have dual Monitors (a 17" NEC LCD and a 23" Cinema display.)

No matter what I do in dual display mode I do not get the cube effect. I even turned on mirroring and moved both displays to 1280x960.

I'm going to try it with the NEC unplugged..

mikeylebeau

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2003
Stanford, CA
Don't know what the problem is, but to debunk the thought that it's *purely* a software limitation on resolution, I can confirm that I use it at 2560x1600 and it's not a problem for me. :) That is, of course, with a GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, which probably isn't straining. But just supplying the info, if that helps.

-mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.