Mac Mini and G3 keyboard/mouse??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MrSmith, Feb 6, 2005.

1. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I've got an old B&W 300 G3 and I was wondering if I could use its keyboard and mouse on a Mac Mini. I read somewhere that it accepts USB1.1 and USB2. That doesn't mean much to me. Is anyone using an old G3 keybaord on their Mac Mini?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm pretty sure you can't.
    The old keyboards had a different connection (forget the name) to USB.

There may be adapters out there but if you're going to pay money then it may be better value in the longer run to get a new/second-hand Apple or 3rd party keyboard and mouse...

I couldn't imagine using one of those beige mice with a rollerball with a new Mac & OS X...

3. MrSmith thread starter macrumors 68040

MrSmith

No, I have a blue and white G3 (Yosemite). It's a USB keybard and mouse. But the original USB I presume.

I had another question: Can I use ANY VGA screen?

TIA

4. Bear macrumors G3

The USB keyboard and mouse should work. There may be some odd key mappings. Does the screen have a VGA or SVGA connector? If it has an SVGA connector, it'll probably work. If it has a VGA conenctor, you'd need an adapter if it works at all. Remember a new crt can usually be had for $100 to $300 depending on how large you want it.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Well, in that case if it's a USB keyboard then I don't see why not...
    USB 2 ports can take USB 1 peripherals, no worries.

As far as your monitor goes, the Mini comes with a DVI-to-VGA adapter so you can take your existing monitor and you're good to go.

6. Bear macrumors G3

Technically, the 15 pin high density connectory that is on the adapter is S-VGA. I know older Macs used a 9 Pin VGA connector. It's the monitors that have a 9 Pin VGA connector that probably won't work.

More information on the various Video modes and connectors can be found here.

And I know some people have some really old equipment. Of course since 9-Pin VGA monitors haven't been made in years, S-VGA devices and cabling started being call VGA. Language transformation in action.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Cheers.

Sometimes it's easy to assume that people are using equipment that is relatively newish and I should realise that: I've got a 7 year old monitor that's still working OK... but only just.

8. MrSmith thread starter macrumors 68040

MrSmith

My screen is a 'Mini D-sub15Pin'. So it's good to go on the Mini then?

9. Bear macrumors G3

Probably.

[I won't say definitely as each S-VGA monitor has a different set of specifications and there could be a mismatch. It somewhat depends on how how the monitor is and somewhat on how good a monitor it was when it was bought. You might have gotten a better answer if you had thought to include the manufacturer and model of the monitor in your post.]

10. MrSmith thread starter macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Right. It's a Mitsubishi Diamondcrysta RDT141X.