Mac mini and getting an iTunes movie to play...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by itsjustmeee, Jul 6, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2008
    This should be a simple thing, but I can't seem to get it to work. I have a new Mac Mini and I'm just trying to get an HD iTunes movie I've purchased to play on my TV. The mini is hooked up via the HDMI cable, the computer is authorized and I'm signed into my itunes account. When I try to play it (in iTunes), I hear the audio but the video is just a bunch of gray and white squares. If I change to full screen, I see it for a second (paused) and then it goes back to the gray and white boxes.

Is this one of those "you can't do it because your hi def TV isn't DRM approved" or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Detroit, Michigan
    I would go back and double check all your connections. Make sure there isn't something loose or perhaps there is a bad HDMI cable.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2008
    SandboxGeneral, the cables are fine. I use this mini for my Plex media center which works perfectly. I just can't figure out why iTunes can't play a purchased HD movie. I'm guessing that Apple TV would but the mini won't. I also tried the few HD TV shows I purchased through iTunes and they won't play either.

I knew that there was a reason I rarely bought videos on iTunes. Now I remember why.
  4. macrumors regular

Jul 19, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    Have you tried doing this with QuickTime instead of iTunes?
  5. macrumors 68030

May 27, 2008
    try restarting itunes, or if that doesn't work reboot your computer.

i recently had an app (imessage) that was all screwey looking (black and white squares, colored boxes, would change when i clicked the window) and rebooting fixed it.

i'm on a retina MBP which has the same Intel HD Graphics 4000 chip for video.
  6. macrumors 68030

Sep 8, 2011
    Eureka Springs, Arkansas
    Could be. Many iTunes Store HD movies require HDCP-compatible displays. Still could be a bad cable too; it may pass the signal OK but not the HDCP key.