Mac Mini and iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by pyjr2007, Feb 27, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm thinking of purchasing a Mac Mini for an iTunes music server. My library is over 1TB, and I make many many changes to the library- new files, moving files to different folders, changes to genre, etc.

I have two libraries- one on a PC desktop and an external copy used for my PC laptop connected to a DAC. To update my PC laptop, I delete the references in iTunes and drag the music library to the laptop. This takes a long time over USB. Is there an easier/quicker way to do this? If I purchase a Mini it will be used headless. I manually manage the library.

Since I will be running the Mini headless, could I remote to the Mini using Windows 7 to keep my iTunes organized and updated?

I prefer not to play files over a wireless network, and I do not have ethernet connection in my listening room.

Suggestions? Is a Mac Mini a good idea for this?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2002
    New England
    I use apple's itunes match service. All my music is stored on one machine and then apple matches all my music and uploads what it can't. I then can access all my music anywhere on any device as long as it has a internet connection. So in my home all music is stored on an old iMac. the family also has a mac mini and a macbook air. I also carry around an ipod touch. All devices can access the music.

let apple be the server and get rid of windows
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2013
    Hello foofan,

Thank you for the reply. Match seems like a good service, but it is limited to 25,000 tracks, and I am way over the limit which seems to be another limiter. I can drag and drop my library to the Mini after updates are made to my main database, but I was wondering if there was a more automated method. For instance, would iTunes auto update by connecting external drive? Is there a feature in the Mini to allow this?
  4. macrumors member

Nov 11, 2011
    Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    I use Carbon Copy Cloner to mirror my local iTunes store to my NAS, which I think is pretty much what you're wanting to do....

Script to kill iTunes before running the backup, then mirror any changes to the NAS at 0342hrs every morning. Works a treat so far.
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2013
    Thank you mj. That seems like a good idea. Does it also auto-update the library in itunes for new files, name changes, location changes, etc? Using a Mini?