Mac mini and the 20inch apple display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by carpet, Jan 24, 2005.

1. carpet macrumors member

Jan 13, 2005
    Who buys the Mac mini then buys the 1000 dollar monitor from apple? Seems a little off to me but thats the picture apple has painted on their web site.
  2. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Same reason people buy the 17 in Powerbook to the 15 in Powerbook....they want the display room, as well as the looks.
  3. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    i plan on gettin the mac mini then about a year/6months latter gettin the 20 inch display. Call me crazy but ill be able to use the display for future upgrades
  4. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    So what's the point you're making? If someone wants to use a Cinema Display on a Mac Mini they shouldn't be allowed to or something?
  5. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    because monitors devalue less quickly than cpu/hd/ram?
  6. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    You have a point, just because the mini is marketed as a budget machine and the displays are really meant for the pro line of computers. However, since Apple has no mid-range headless Mac, people who want both an Apple computer and Apple display have little choice. They can either get a Mac mini or a PowerMac G5--and for most people, even if they have $1000-$1300 to spend, that choice will be the Mac mini. In theory, Apple wants these people to buy the iMac G5, but if you want your computer and display separate so you can upgrade them separately, you're likely to go the cheaper route.

However, for people who really are buying the mini just because that's all they can afford, the Apple displays make no sense.
  7. Espy macrumors newbie

Jan 25, 2005
    Because mini + cinema display = possibly the most styling desktop.

I say possibly because I haven't seen one yet. I am in the market for a new desktop this year. I would like a large display, but I am no fan of the AIO concept, or the white plastic. The computer would be in the corner of the living room, and aluminium is much more classic looking than the white plastic. As a powermac is far too big, heavy and expensive, and a powerbook is a lot more for little performance gain, the mini is the best option to run OSX on a cinema display. I am a little concerned about the ability of the mini to run the bigger screen, and of the future upgrade path. Given the failure of the cube, there is no guarantee of upgraded models being available in the future.

I am tossing up between this and an iMac. If there was a small form factor G5, then that would be a no brainer. I guess I will wait until I can try one, and see what Tiger Brings.
  8. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Or for those who already have one. Or plan to upgrade to a Tower later. Or it's just Apple, um... advertising it's own products. ;)