Mac mini and the C2D

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mahonmeister, Aug 8, 2006.

1. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

I am helping my neighbor buy a new computer, (convinced them to go Mac!) and the mini is there best choice because they have a monitor, keyboard and mouse. They are an older couple but the wife uses email, photos, music, Microsoft Office, and a few other basic programs. I was going to get them the 1.5GHz base model but what is the chance that the Core 2 Duo will be placed in the mini very soon (within a week or two)? I know that they don't need a really fast computer, but everyone likes things to be done promptly. I was disappointed in our mini's performance in terms of speed, (1.42 G4) and don't want them to have similar issues. My 1.5GHz G4 Powerbook seemed to be quite a bit faster then our mini, both have 512RAM. Anyways, I'm just looking for some advise before buying. I won't be happy unless they are very satisfied. Thank you.

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I want a Core 2 Duo Mini, and a 965 chipset with 128 shared video, but I don't think we'll get either, even at Paris. I think the Mini will get a speed bump, but that's it. It is possible that the Mini drops the Core Solo, and goes with a 1.66 Core Duo on the low end and a 1.83 or 2.0 Core 2 Duo on the high end, just to keep with the processor changes. Who really knows. I would make sure they go with 1 GB RAM. They will notice the difference.

3. gwimby macrumors member

I'd get them more ram over a faster processor.
    Are they buying retail? They could buy a refurb 1.5 mini and then add in their own 1gb of DDR2.

As to when merom will debut in the line, it could well be a silent upgrade like the old mini had.

Theres just no way to know exactly.

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Well how long can they wait? I'm expecting the new Mini to be released in Sept in the Expo.

5. mahonmeister thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have any experience adding ram and I want to keep things simple by buying new.

They really need it now, the old PC has many things wrong with it and has for a long time.

Thanks for the advise, I'll step them up to the 1GB RAM. I just hate seeing computers being outdated so quickly! We'll see what comes of the Core 2 Duo.

6. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i doubt the mini will go core 2. simply to differentiate from the higher end line. I think the mini will drop the core solo, in favor of faster core duo chips. if anything will get the core 2 it will be the MBP and the iMac, while the MB and mini will remain with the core line. that being said, im waiting for the core 2 duo to ship as a bare chip so i can drop it into my mac mini and replace my core solo! (they are pin-to-pin compatible and people have already made this upgrade!!!)

but, speaking as a core solo mini owner, i would HIGHLY reccomend upgrading to 1GB of ram (in the solo or duo) i for a while had the stock 512 and a couple weeks ago i upgraded and dropped in a 1GB chip (total of 1.25 GB) and WOW it flies!!!! (compared to before) its great for basic apps as you mentioned.