mac mini and the tax free day

Discussion in 'Community' started by Nuc, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Greetings,

Last Friday was the tax free day here in NC. I didn't want to buy at the retail store since I've heard it gets crowded, plus I didn't have the time to go (summer session finals). So I called up the apple store online, placed my order for a mac mini ($699 model), bluetooth keyboard, mighty mouse, APP, printer, and .Mac.

I asked what was the shipping time, he said either today or the following monday. Well yesterday I get an email about it being delayed until 8/11, blah, blah. So this morning I gave them a call. Michael answered said it was delayed due to the tax crap... So I said it takes this long to figure out that your not supposed to charge the tax.

Well he got a little heated and asked if I wanted to cancel the order (this pisses me off). I said no of course not, so I asked him if he could upgrade the shipping to overnight. He came back with an extra $23 to ship it, I said no I don't think so. I asked again why had I been told that it would ship out same day... He said that the person that placed the order didn't know the formality of the process for the tax free day. I explained to him that the guy knew it was the tax free day and had talked to other customers that day about it. He pretty much said the guy that placed the order was stupid. Michael must be from CA..

Anyways I got a little pissed and said listen I've spent a lot of money over the last 5 years at apple. Finally he said that he would upgrade the shipping to overnight. This was what I wanted in the first damn place.

I don't understand companies these days. What happened to putting the customer first? What about the customer is always right? Today's society is a lot different than what it was. People used to do anything to make a customer happy. It's about time that America does an about face and return to old ideology.

I guess I'm used to being courteous to people since that was how I was raised here in the southeast. But damnit I'm getting tired of ignorant people that say "would you like to cancel your order." Instead of asking what can I do to make this right. If I have to hear that anymore I think I will have to hunt the SOB down and kick him where it counts! I mean where in hell do they find these retards to work for them.

I've had to deal with clients such as government or state officials and I go out of my way to make them happy because in the end what does it say about your company. So everyone be courteous, bite your tongue when need be, and make the customer happy so they'll come back.

On a positive note, I took my PB (HD, DVD issues) in today at the apple store, the guy was nice. Had to leave it though so I'm on the old reliable pismo. :D

Here is my other rant from when I purchased my PB. I've got good luck huh? :cool:

Nuc

PS feel a lot better now that I got that off my chest

2. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

"I don't understand companies these days. What happened to putting the customer first? What about the customer is always right? Today's society is a lot different than what it was. People used to do anything to make a customer happy. It's about time that America does an about face and return to old ideology."

Although I agree with your situation, I must tell you that "the customer is always right" is thankfully outdated because 99% of the time they are dead wrong, and they know it. Customers try to play that card in order to take advantage of employees and to try to get something for nothing.

3. Nuc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I agree to an extent

I agree to some extent with what you say, but if they hired people that know what they're talking about then this wouldn't be an issue... If you think that I should take it easy on someone that doesn't know their job then you can forget it. It's their job hence they should know how to deal with the situation!

Once you forget your customer then you've lost your sale.

The saying "the customer is always right" is similar to "not guilty until proven otherwise" both of which don't seem to apply anymore like it used to.

Nuc

4. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

Come on, now, OJ & Michael Jackson would say that "Not guilty..." still applies quite well. ;)

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The problem that many companies have nowadays is that they don't trust their employees to do the "right thing", i.e., that process which results in the most amount of happiness for both the customer and the company. Rather, they burden their employees with endless workflow and process charts which are supposed to make things easier, but actually make things much more difficult. Quite often, an employee will be reprimanded for not following the "correct steps", even though the end result was the correct one.

Case in point: A couple of years ago, when I was still working at Microsoft, I was call-coached on a couple of my calls... this means that a manager listened in on my calls, without my knowledge, and graded my performance. In this specific case, I solved BOTH problems, each within 30 minutes and in such a way that the customer would not need to call back in, talk to anyone else, etc. The problems were SOLVED.

Yet, my feedback gigged me for not asking what network configuration they were using; when they had last backed up their data; and other stuff. Why didn't I follow the standard process and do that? they wondered. Easy. I had determined that THOSE QUESTIONS WEREN'T RELEVANT TO THE SITUATION. I almost went to the manager, who'd been working at Microsoft for a couple of years AS A MANAGER (compared to my 10 years as a support tech), and told him to take his feedback and cram it. If I solve the problem and the customer's happy, it shouldn't matter HOW I do it.

In your case, the Apple Store rep was probably constrained to following some damn flowchart of "how to handle situation X". If they'd allow intelligent employees who understand how things work to make their own decisions, everyone would be happier... except, of course, for the managers whose jobs would be unnecessary.

6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

It is a shame that all of the ignorant SOBs and retards out there don't realize how courteous you are.