Mac Mini audio over HDMI problem after 10.8.5

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by CalmEnvy, Sep 21, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

So I'm pretty sure updated to 10.8.5 broke my audio output via HDMI. Audio worked perfectly, nothing in my setup has changed but each time I startup my mini from sleep I get no audio what so ever. I have to restart the mini each time I want to listen to music or watch a movie. Anyone else having this problem? It's a 2011 mini I have so just wondering if it's effect all mini's, thanks!

2. macrumors 603

philipma1957

no but let me check if i did that update. this is a 2012 quad core and it is fine.

Attached Files:

3. macrumors 68000

I have been having the exact same problem for a while now and have not yet found a resolution. Was unaware of what broke it but it was working and now it is not. I get around it by using the audio out and the HDMI together.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

It's so annoying, it was working fine with 10.8.4 and then I updated to 10.8.5 and instantly it didn't work once waking up from sleep. Apple really needs to fix this as I've just noticed it all over there support boards.

5. macrumors newbie

Same problem her with a Mac Mini I7 2.3. in 10.8.5

6. macrumors 6502

I too have had trouble using audio over HDMI after waking from sleep on my 2011 Mac mini fed into a Marantz SR5300...

I guess I'll just keep transmission open to prevent my mini sleeping like I usually do, but still it and the dud Apple TV 6.0 update are cause for concern... :rolleyes:

7. macrumors newbie

FWIW, I hooked my new monitor to my MM via HDMI and found that I had no volume control or mute control. I assumed it was the monitor (maybe not).
    I then connected the monitor via DVI. Everything works fine, including sleep (and un-sleep).

8. macrumors 68020

T'hain Esh Kelch

Plenty of users with the same problem on Apples support forums, following the 10.8.5 update. Only solutions are no sleep or a restart.

9to5mac just mentioned that an incremental 10.8.5 extra update has HDMI fixes, so cross your fingers...