Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gustavopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Brazil
This was unexpected. After moths trying to install a Windows in a partition with bootcamp, I finally succeed, but now OS X is gone...

My Mac Mini: 1.83MHz 4GB RAM 128GB SSD in the main SATA and the old 80GB HDD in the combodrive SATA with adapter.

I did all the procedure, followed the instructions and Bootcamp of my OS X Lion divided the original bootable disk in two partitions. The first, remains the OS X Lion. The second were ready for Windows. So I used a DVD with installation by USB superdrive (a SATA superdrive with USB adapter) and the Windows installer did the job right. Windows 7 32 bit is now running, and I am now using to write this.

When I turn on the Mini, the Windows Boot Manager loads and there is two options to boot:
  • Windows 7
  • NST Mac OS X

If I choose Windows 7, will boot Windows ok. If I choose NST Mac OS X, will display a screen with a green Chamaleon on the top and Windows logo at the center, a countdown to try to boot Windows. I can press F8 before blow up (will usually return to Windows Boot Manager). Then will show details of the Chamaleon:
Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chamaleon v2.0-RC4 r684
Build Date: 2009-12-10 22:56:28
3053MB​
In the center, there is 3 options:
  • osx: will reboot, open the Windows Boot Manager again
  • Windows NTFS: the same
  • Windows: black display with message: A disk read error has occurred, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
With EasyBCD, I got this detailed info about boot:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale pt-BR
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {e77d5d0f-a821-11e6-b0b0-a0174d86afa2}
resumeobject {e77d5d0b-a821-11e6-b0b0-a0174d86afa2}
displayorder {e77d5d0c-a821-11e6-b0b0-a0174d86afa2}
{e77d5d0f-a821-11e6-b0b0-a0174d86afa2}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 30
displaybootmenu Yes

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {e77d5d0c-a821-11e6-b0b0-a0174d86afa2}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale pt-BR
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
recoverysequence {e77d5d0d-a821-11e6-b0b0-a0174d86afa2}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {e77d5d0b-a821-11e6-b0b0-a0174d86afa2}
nx OptIn

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {e77d5d0f-a821-11e6-b0b0-a0174d86afa2}
device partition=C:
path \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr
description NST Mac OS X
locale pt-BR
custom:250000c2 0

The partition schema is reported as MBR, however, I know is GPT since was not formated. I think is hybrid and the Chamaleon might not be able to see the OSX partition right or OSX just can't boot like this.

There is more: I can't boot by USB as before to try to restore Mac OS X. I tried flash drive, DVD, by pressing Alt key, etc. nothing stops the Mac Mini from loading Windows Boot Manager.

I need some help...

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Just guessing since it's been many years since I ran Windows 7......Try booting to Windows then from the taskbar run the bootcamp control panel and see if it gives you the choice of startup disk. If it does try the Mac partition boot from there.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
On a real Mac Mini, hold down OPTION/ALT to get to the Mac's boot loader, which can handle both OS X and Windows bootable partitions.

However, since all of the tools you are talking about are Hackintosh tools, I'm guessing you are actually using a PC, in which case that won't work.

If you ARE using a real Mac Mini, then why the heck are you using Chameleon and NST EasyBCD? It's creating quite a bootloader mess and I'm not surprised there are problems.

gustavopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Brazil
Tuadden: there is no bootcamp control panel.

ActionableMango: I can ensure you I am using a real Mac Mini. My keyboard is a generic USB windows keyboard, however the Alt key should call the boot loader. Also, I have a flash Usb Drive with the complete Lion installation that I used to install the current Mac OS X - so why it does not boot from it anymore?

EDIT: with the Alt key pressed and Mac OS X usb drive attached, the boot takes longer time. It seams it try to boot from USB or call boot loader, fails and boot Windows Boot Manager.

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Tuadden: there is no bootcamp control panel.

Is there some reason you haven't installed it?

ActionableMango: I can ensure you I am using a real Mac Mini. My keyboard is a generic USB windows keyboard, however the Alt key should call the boot loader. Also, I have a flash Usb Drive with the complete Lion installation that I used to install the current Mac OS X - so why it does not boot from it anymore?

EDIT: with the Alt key pressed and Mac OS X usb drive attached, the boot takes longer time. It seams it try to boot from USB or call boot loader, fails and boot Windows Boot Manager.

Holding down ALT should preempt all installed bootloaders with its own bootloader from the Mac's firmware. I agree a Windows keyboard should work--that's what I use.

I have no experience with Hackintosh boot loaders, what they've done to your boot process, or how they might be able to preempt the Mac's firmware. Maybe they've inserted some parameters into the NVRAM. You could try an NVRAM reset and then the ALT key again.

Alternatively you could hold down "C" to boot from a bootable USB drive or CD/DVD, or "Win+R" for the OS X recovery partition.

Last edited:

gustavopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Brazil
The DVD Windows 7 installation is a custom volume that have all versions in pt-BR, so we use it because is handy. It's easier you install a Windows and activate it later. Microsoft has joined this practice, but I still could not install Windows 10 directly, I was thinking about an upgrade after activating Windows 7. I don't think is a mackintosh thing, it is focused on old PCs.

I am thinking about reset NVRAM, but it seams a "brutal force" solution to me. Might result in a dead machine. I was thinking about understand what happened with boot process, how to fix it since the Mini is still working. Also, I am not being able to talk with voodooprojects people that made Chameleon. I tried to join the forum, but it seams closed or malfunction.

gustavopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Brazil
Could not reset PRAM or NVRAM. I tried several times with USB keyboard and bluetooth keyboard. It's even strange the bluetooth keyboard is still working...

I got no sound either, so I think it might be a combination of hardware issues with NVRAM mess. Not sure if this is the right forum to keep going with this discussion, I will have to open it. Maybe I will disconnect the battery until NVRAM dies... any other suggestions?

gustavopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Brazil
Is there still an OS X partition can you see it in disk management?
Yes, the partition is there, but there is no letter assigned. I think Windows will not be able to read it. I am now disassembling the Mini piece by piece.

gustavopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Brazil
Ok, so I did open that little box, I forgotten how painful is to disassemble-asseble it, that little flat cable... where am I? Oh yes, so I removed the mainboard battery and let it out for an hour. I don't know if is enough time (I usually do it and works), but after rebuild all the mini, the picture is the same: will boot only by that Windows Boot Manager. All keyboard key combinations during start up are ignored.

By Google search, the solution is always the same: to clear NVRAM / PRAM will take back to factory settings. It seams is not that simple, there is more inside those circuits. The mini is turning on as soon I connect the power cable and is not like this by factory settings.

I will have to dig deeper in hardware issues... who is with me?!?

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Ok, so I did open that little box..... will boot only by that Windows Boot Manager.......I will have to dig deeper in hardware issues... who is with me?!?
Not me, I've never been able to fix software problems with hardware. Your troubles began with partitioning and format.......

craig1024

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
It's a software issue so you will have to install a boot loader try installing the boot camp drivers and see if just selecting Mac OS works

gustavopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Brazil
Can you suggest a boot loader? I am now downloading Boot Camp drivers 4 (as is indicated in Apple support docs).

I installed HWINFO that I use to identify PC parts. Interesting, there is some differences: the GMA video chip is using 256MB instead of 64MB and 6Gbps SATA SSD port...

Not me, I've never been able to fix software problems with hardware. Your troubles began with partitioning and format.......
I used bad the word hardware. It's all about software, but is a basic part related to components and not to the OS. I did reset my NVRAM (I found the clock were reseted), but by removing the battery instead of using the keyboard - that's why I mention hardware. The system is still jumping do Windows Boot Manager, maybe there is other part of the software I can change "by hand"...

gustavopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Brazil
Yes! I am very happy to inform that after to install boot camp drivers 4 for Windows 7 32 bit I could boot from Lion again! There is a control panel just like the Mac OS X and I can choose witch OS to boot from.

Sadly but as expected the bluetooth keyboard stop working, unpaired, I will solve this later (not easy task as it should be). I am not aware of what is exactly this "drivers", it does a lot more than simple drivers as "printer drivers". I don't know what it does, but it goes deep where you mention (partitioning and format) and maybe more.

Thank you for helping me to solve this. I tried in several other forums but this was the only one I got some useful answers!

Reactions: craig1024
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.