Mac Mini BTO Ship Dates?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by FrankieShakes, Apr 1, 2005.

1. FrankieShakes macrumors member

Hey all,

Can anyone confirm whether there has been a delay in shipments for BTO Mac Minis?

The reason I'm asking is that I placed an order on March 24th, in hopes to have the Mini arrive for April 10th (it's a birthday present for my girlfriend). My only worry is that as of today (April 1st), I have yet to receive a shipment notification. The order status page indicates an open estimated shipment date of April 15th. Is it really that long of a wait?

Any suggestions on what I can do (if there is anything I can do)? I'd appreciate any help...

Thanks,
    -djfs

2. dont24 macrumors regular

What type of BTO options did you choose? Do you have an Apple store in your area?

3. FrankieShakes thread starter macrumors member

dont24,

I chose to add Airport and Bluetooth... Unfortunately, I don't. I'm in Canada. The reason I'm wondering about the delay is that a friend of mine ordered the stock configuration. He received his 6 days after he placed his order.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Mini 1.42, 40 Gb HD, Airport, BT, ordered Jan 29, arrived today. Avast! Shiver me timbers! :D

Apparently Apple Canada have not had Airport cards to build into the machines until this week :eek:

5. dont24 macrumors regular

The reason I asked about a local store was, I was going to BTO one through Apple, but didn't want to wait for it. Local Apple stores have what they call the "ultimate mini". ( in my sig ) It's what I was going to order, so I decided to head to my local store and grab one.
    Afraid I can't you with the wait time question. You may want to give then a call.

6. FrankieShakes thread starter macrumors member

What?!?! Are you kidding me... That long? Ouch!

Were you able to call Apple for status on the order at all? How did you know of the Airport shortages?

I called Apple the other day, and the rep. advised that all she could tell about the order was exactly what I had from my online order status. Is there nothing else they can do?

7. FrankieShakes thread starter macrumors member

yeah... I was in LA a few weeks ago, and I saw the machine. It was a little out of my price range, otherwise I would have snapped it up. Unfortunately, they had no Airport/BT machines. It was either the "ultimate" or the stock.

8. dont24 macrumors regular

The mini was my first Mac. I was very surprised at the limited amount of configurations you can get at the local stores. Seems like stock or fully loaded in each hardware category, with nothing in between. Maybe they'd sell more if they offered BTO's at the local stores?

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I never use the Apple store, only my local Apple dealers. I have purchased bout 50 Macs for my business and for clients in the past 5 years, so I can get some favors and extra service. This is the dealer who let me trade back in an unopened iBook 14" for full credit, which is how I got the two Minis. When you find a good dealer you can work with, stick with them.

In my case the 1.25 stock Mini arrived quickly, and I still have my G3 running with the new Dell monitor, so I haven't sweated the 1.42 wait too much, really <gnash teeth, keep smiling>.

The information on the component shortages came through the dealer.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Some dealers have set up their own configuration centres, and can "BTO" themselves, subject to component availability. Others have a shopping list of configurations they can order from Apple.

11. Eastend macrumors 6502

If you can get to an Apple Store they have them already BTO. The Apple Store Genius told me the Apple Stores all have Special BTO in stock. You cannot get a mini in Japan BTO except through Apple, I put everything on mine. I got mine at the Osaka Apple Store, very happy and surprised they had them, walked out of the store with goods in hand in less than 30 minutes.

Brian

12. wirelessimports macrumors member

If you need it and are in a huge rush do what i did when it was my sisters birthday. Buy it off ebay. I waited a month for mine and then went on ebay and found it there cheaper then from apple with the student discount. I picked it up locally. Skip the auctions and search for the buy it nows only like if its a store. the auctions will just get under your skin if you dont win or the price goes too high. worse comes to worse you pay an extra $20-30 more and you get it in time. bite the bullet and go ebay.