mac mini bulk purchases halted

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Studawg7, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Studawg7 macrumors regular

Just saw this on TUAW

seems apple has halted mac mini bulk orders. i wonder why they did that...? Could we be in for a nice mini surprise come Tuesday?

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, and I just got a second Mac mini (this one for my bedroom). Talk about bad timing... on the other hand, it is one of the 1.5 GHz / 64 MB VRAM models, so it runs really well.

4. Studawg7 thread starter macrumors regular

from the article, I am curious as to what company would buy say 100 minis at a time. anyone on this board do this as well?

5. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

this sounds fake, i cant think of one reason any company would need to order several mac mini's or a regular basis.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i can think of plenty of reasons. :confused:

seems totally plauseable to me.

7. jacobj macrumors 65816

jacobj

I can see why people would bulk order. Surely distributors don't order on an order by order basis. They would expect to have stock to deal with incoming orders. Part of the service they offer is quick response. It makes sense to me.

That is not to say that the mini will be replaced: only that such a claim could be legitimate and therefore I am not dismissing the possibility of a new 1.67 Duo mini ;)

8. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Well, its been pretty much a given that Apple will announce the Intel Mac mini and iBook (MacBook) on or before 1st April 2006 - They pretty much have to stick to that deadline if they are going to get education orders this year (US academia mostly place their orders in April and May).

Next tuesday seems a little early for the Mac mini, though. More likely that they'll unveil an iPod home or Mac media center product next tuesday (and perhaps the 13" MacBook as "one more thing") and keep the 17" laptop and the Mac mini for April.

So, halting bulk Mac mini orders could just be a way to try to limit the number of PPC Mac minis that are returned after 1st April and could be an indication that stocks of the Mac mini are getting very low (as others have suggested).

9. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i do some mac tech work for a growing school and we bulk order iBooks all the time.

10. generik macrumors 601

generik

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How about these guys: http://www.macminicolo.net/

B

12. generik macrumors 601

generik

13. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Educational institutions and resellers would bulk order :)

14. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

15. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

i can see why a company would need 1 may be 2 bulk orders, but to make bulk orders on a regular basis?? thats what doesnt make sense

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

colorware for example would need to make bulk orders on a regular basis. so they have minis in stock to paint and then ship out.

other companies would also need to be several bulk orders. if a company was switching over to mac, they wouldn't do it in just one leap. they would do a gradual integration and change. several large orders would certainly be needed if the company was large enough.