Mac Mini C2D vs. Dual 1.8 G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yg17, Jan 25, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've been considering upgrading my G5 for awhile, but I'm somewhat on a budget. When (if?) Core 2 Duo Minis are released, I'm considering getting one. How would it compare to my G5? Say the Mini's are around 1.8 GHz like my G5. Hell, maybe they'll be 2GHz. Who knows. Either way, would the mini be faster? I think the C2Ds are definitely faster than a G5 of the same GHz, I don't know. Has anyone else compared a C2D (maybe a MacBook since C2D minis don't exist yet)? What were the results? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

The Core 2 Duo processor beats the PowerPC G5 processor for the majority of tasks. But if the Mac Mini with a C2D processor uses integrated graphics (like the current revision does), you may be better off using your G5 if you use your computer for tasks that rely on a graphics card. :)

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Ah yeah, didn't think about that....although the most extensive thing I do with my G5 graphics-wise is use Dashboard with the fancy ripple effect :p

The 20" iMac would be perfect if I didn't already have a 20" widescreen display, I feel like it would go to waste :\

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Well, if that is the case, the Mac Mini would work fine for you. :)

Well, you could always hook up your 20" LCD to the 20" iMac and have dual screens! :D :cool:

5. 2tallyAwesome macrumors regular

you could always ebay/craigslist your moniter, and use the extra cash to purchase a 24'' imac.

6. thumb macrumors 6502

I have both (well, the faster CD mini since there is no CD2) and I find them very comprable. The G5 is very similar in everyday tasks (email, web, word, etc) and faster in Aperture (graphics intensive), but in something very processor intensive (Handbrake) the mini is amazing.

Overall, I would not say it is much of an upgrade unless there is something specific you need the processor for. the G5 is still very good.

I think you would be better using hte money for something else. If you really need to spend it, consider a macbook to complement your desktop, and go mobile.

7. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

have both. dual 1.8 g5/4gb ram, and mini core 2 duo 2.0/2gb ram. the mini kicks the crap out of my g5 for everything except games and storage space.

love the g5 and have no plans to replace it, but seeing it get kicked by this little 7" square silent box is still almost funny every time it happens. strange new world of intel we are living in...:eek: :confused: :p

if i win the lottery someday (probably should buy a ticket...) i would like to get a g5 case and see how many mini systems i could mount inside. make my own silent/stealth cluster system. a folding monster it would be!

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I say go for two screens. I am planning on doing that myself, if Apple has new ACD's

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

if you dont have the original box for the monitor, how are you going to ship it?

10. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

We shipped a 24" widescreen monitor without the original box. You can take it into a UPS or FedEx and they'll be able to package it up for you.

11. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

what a service :D if that was here they would scratch there arse's then laugh at you.

12. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

id be so wary though. a monitor, jiggled in the wrong way, is toast.

i personally only buy from brick n mortar when it comes to large glass tubes.

13. andmill macrumors member

dude, keep the powermac. Or you could get the base mac pro, if you sold the powermac, and take the mony you were going to use for the mini. That sould almost give you all the money for it.

14. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Maybe you can describe more of what you intend to do?

The Powermacs are still fast computers despite the obsoleted CPU architecture.