Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
I'm kicking around the idea of switching my Rev. A PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 for a Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 2 Ghz with 2 Gigs of RAM.

I'm wondering if I would take a big performance hit with the switch to this machine when compared to my current workstation (most likely not, but hey I ask anyways). I am looking for something with a small footprint that's quite and basically is not a furnace with computing features inside that sucks power like a maniac. It's worth mention that I am on a budget as well(Macs here in Argentina are expensive as hell).

As it is right now, if I do a feature to feature comparison, I would be getting DL DVD burning, Airport, and Bluetooth, something that my PowerMac G5 is lacking.

Its worth noting that the PowerMac has 1 Gig of RAM, the stock Radeon 9600 with 64 MB of RAM, but does have a 250 Gig HD.

I regurlarly use Photoshop CS3 (working mostly with A3 sized files @ 300/600 DPI), Illustrator, in Design, Dreamweaver, some Flash. Of course the run of the mill, Web browsing/email checking along with IMing and iTunes activities.

So what you guys think? You think a trade of my ol' faithful PowerMac from 2003/2004 to a top of the line mac mini would be a good idea?

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
If you're willing to part with RAM expandability and graphics card upgrades, huge hard drive space and easily replicable optical drives, sure. It'd be a great replacement in that case.

I don't imagine you use classic so switching off the PowerPC line shouldnt be a worry for you :)

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
the C2D mac mini will blow away your powermac G5. barefeats has some benchmarks proving that. i would definitely sell the G5 and pick up a new mini especially since you only have 1 gig of ram and an aging 9600 invested in your current rig

sebaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Hey thanks guys for the replies. As a strictly OSX user I won't be missing Classic anytime soon. The only issue that I could see biting me its the integrated GMA vid. card, then again I'm doing 2D work most of the time.

Hows Leopard's eye candy with a GMA 950?

andrewag

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2005
Australia
I have a PowerMAc G5 2GHz DP and a first gen black Macbook (core duo 2Ghz) and the difference between the two isn't really that mind blowing. The MacBook is faster at video encoding and all that, but really, I don't notice too much of difference compute wise between the two.

Leopard eye candy is fine on the MacBook but i do remember trying out Farcry on it and it couldn't do it. Had problems playing roller coaster tycoon (latest) as in slow down. Both games were through Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.