Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
:(
We have a mac mini and dial up, not by choice, they offer it all around us, literally, but not to us for some reason. I DO NOT want cable.
The program bootcamp has to be installed before I can install windows. To bring the machine up to it's maximum browser 10.4.8 the download is 300MB and if I don't sit there and babysit it, which is impossible it is like 20 hours or something, the computer for some reason will stop downloading due to a message that says something about AOL has turned off the idle setting. Then all we had up until then is not downloaded and we have to start again.
I suspected it was the memory which I just upgraded to 1GB but that wasn't it.

any ideas would be sooo helpful.
Brenda

PS: I turned the desktop setting to 3 hours before the screensaver starts but no difference.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It sounds like AOL drops your connection after a period of inactivity. That's rather common for dial-up.

Someone could probably mail you a disc faster then you can download it.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
It sounds like AOL drops your connection after a period of inactivity. That's rather common for dial-up.

Someone could probably mail you a disc faster then you can download it.

Can I download it at work? I have a pc there. How would I do that?
(A very literal walk through would be so appreciated)!!

Brenda

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
...says something about AOL has turned off the idle setting.

haven't used aol for years, but unless they have changed (doubt it) they will disconnect you unless the see activity, usually mouse movement. so, sit and move the mouse every so often, or put something right next to it (touching the mouse pad) that vibrates like a mixer or something so the computer is picking up movement. had aol on for days using a electric drill and broken, out of round, polishing wheel on my cheap and wobbly desk...

better idea would be to get a cheap 1gb usb drive and head to the local library for fast download of the update. you could download bootcamp at the same time. make life a lot easier! best of luck.

edit: work, even better. download, right click, save as, point at the usb drive, done!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Can I download it at work? I have a pc there. How would I do that?
(A very literal walk through would be so appreciated)!!

Brenda
Just download it at work. You'll more then likely need to get the Combo updater and get Boot Camp. Both files can be burned to a CD just fine.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
Thanks everyone

Really appreciate it.
I'll download it at work
The only other thing I can think to do is put the mouse in the ferret's cage-non-stop activity.
But then again that's how we lost the other mouse (chewed):D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.