Mac mini comes with AppleWorks?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Toe, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Toe
    macrumors 65816

Toe

I'm sure this has been mentioned in another thread, but it deserves its own...

What up with this?
    http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html
    And AppleWorks still shows up here:
    http://www.apple.com/appleworks/
    and here:
    http://www.apple.com/software/

They're not REALLY sticking Mac Mini users with AppleWorks, are they?

2. macrumors 6502

Were you expecting it to come with iWork? I think that they are figuring that iWork is an add-on and AppleWorks is the basic included software.

Besides, at the edu price of $49 iWork really isn't priced that bad for the two apps that it contains. I mean how much was Keynote by itself before? $79? I don't really know?

3. Toe
    thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

4. macrumors 68040

maya

Apple will still ship AW for sometime with new Mac's because there is a transition period for software. Expect AW to be replaced in 2 years with iWork.

Some special bundle offer will be given when you buy a new Mac and iWork, where iWork can be had for half the price.

iWork has not been established yet remember that, it will take sometime as Keynote did. :)

5. macrumors 68020

Macky-Mac

well, a spreadsheet application ....it's too bad there isn't one in iWork

6. macrumors 6502

Sweet Spreadsheet Spider Monkeys! I don't believe iWork includes spreadsheet software. Appleworks does.

edit: Dang. Macky-Mac beat me to it.

7. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If Apple had included a spreadsheet you know MS would have been yelling and screaming and threatning to kill Office -- like they did with Explorer.

8. macrumors 6502a

during the keynote, steve said, "we're building a successor to appleworks" which basically means that a year from now, iwork 06 will have either a database functionality, or a spreadsheet functionality or both

iwork isn't done yet. i remember a ruckus being made when people found out that apple was integrating photoshop-like functions into the OS, so that *any* developer could add them to an app. sounds like a perfect way for them to build a successor to appleworks' draw/paint functionalities.

9. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

It looks like it is still a work in progress, iWork has a few years ahead of it before it becomes a fully mature app.

10. Toe

Toe

Even if it isn't mature, that doesn't mean Apple couldn't make Mac mini users use it to test it out.

Then again, if they're only getting $500 from Mac mini buyers, I suppose they'd like another $80 for the privledge of having something (allegedly) highly compatible with Word. That's cheaper than buying MS Word, which appears to be over $200. And the bundle makes sense too. It'll be a nice cheap option.

Objection withdrawn. :p

--
    This is a one-time sig. So there.

11. macrumors 6502

RE: Database.

Since Apple is wrapping a GUI around cron, why shouldn't they do the same with MySQL and bundle that in iWork? There's your database right there.

12. macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Or how about Filemaker? I find it much more user-friendly than Access.

13. macrumors 68000

wwooden

You can open,edit, and save word documents with appleworks. You can also save applework documents as word ones too. It's not perfect, all they would have to do is give a small update and it would be a very nice (and free) application on the Mac Mini. Right now, it does the job well enough to get by.

14. Toe

Toe

But it's not good enough for people who work in an all-Windows environment and want to take work home sometimes. They can read and re-save Word documents, but their co-workers and associates will be pissed at them for losing and/or messing up the formatting on their Word documents. (If that's not a concern, they can use TextEdit, for that matter.)

The underlying promise of Pages is a Word killer. Something that means you don't have to give Microsoft hundreds of dollars just to be able to accurately exchange word processing documents with other people. I mean come on.

I think Apple's just trying to sneak it up on MS... getting better and better Office-replacement capability without MS paying too much attention. Then one day WHAM, Apple announces 100% Office replacement ability, and who cares if MS dumps the Mac. iWork is a heck of a lot cheaper, better, and easier.