Mac Mini & Component Output

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Carlson-online, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Carlson-online macrumors member

Just wondering if anybody new if the new mac mini will be able to output component video?
    I have a DVI->Component (the red blue and green plugs) adapter which works with my PC and supports 720p/1080i that allows me to hook it upto my LCD.

I know that the old one didnt but want to know if the Intel integrated graphics card will manage it or not - its a big factor in whether to get one or not!

thanks, dave

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The new Intel Graphics card is designed for Home Theater applications. The older Radeon 9200 had scanning and scaling issues with HDTV's since they don't operate at normal resolutions like most computer screens.

3. Carlson-online thread starter macrumors member

yeh i beleive so!

bt does that meant that this will output component?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, I saw a DVI > Component & DVI cable floating around here. I can't find a link though. :(

5. Carlson-online thread starter macrumors member

yeah i already have one of those that i use for my PC.
    what i want to no is if the new mac mini will support it?

if not im basically wasting 500 quid!

6. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

According the the Apple specifications page for the intel Mac Mini:
    S-video and composite video output to connect directly to a TV or projector (using Apple DVI to Video Adapter, sold separately).

Note that your PC DVI->Composite out cable might not work since I've had problems with non Apple DVI->SVideo cables on my powerbook.

7. Carlson-online thread starter macrumors member

its not composite its COMPONENT
    the RED, GREEN and BLUE plugs. its not an offical feature on any of the macs or PCs, but some graphics processors support it

8. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

My mistake. But you should find that you can get component signals out of the svideo connector.

9. Carlson-online thread starter macrumors member

in 720P aswell?

10. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

If you can get component signals from the S-Video signal... shouldn't you just use S-Video instead? You won't gain anything extra by going from S-Video to component... (that'd be like going from AAC to Lossless.... same quality at the end)

11. gunm macrumors member

From what I've read, the best way to output DVI/HDMI signals to component inputs is through a VGA transcoder. In the case of the Mini, you'd use the VGA adapter and connect to the transcoder which would then output component cable to your TV.

12. ChrisA macrumors G4

VGA is this way. There are three analog video signals one for each color. Try a DVI -> VGA and then VGA to three TNC or RCA cables are not hard to find. The problem will be finding the setting to make it sync with the TV