Mac Mini Core Duo Users: Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Caitlyn, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Hi guys!
    So, I'm looking to hear from some Mac Mini users who have the new Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz model. I would just love to hear a general overview of what you think speed-wise, VRAM wise, etc. I am considering buying one as I have a keyboard, mouse and screen all just lying around waiting to be used and it finally occurred to me...why not buy a Mac Mini?

I do a lot of the basic stuff. Ya know...web browsing, Mail, iPhoto, iTunes, IM, Word and Powerpoint for school, etc. But I also love Photoshop CS. I just enjoy making graphics. I also use Dreamweaver for those HTML pages I need to edit once in a while. I use Transmit a lot too. And love PhotoBooth! I also love Photography. I don't use any major apps for it...but someday I might like to check out Apeture. Of course that's a "might". For now I enjoy Photoshop most of all for photos.

So any thoughts? Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.
  2. Topono macrumors member

Jun 12, 2006
    If you're going to be using Photoshop, Aperture, etc. buy an iMac or Power Mac. I just think a Mac mini would be too underpowered for what you want.
  3. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Another possible option is purchasing the core solo mini and upgrading it to a 1.83+ ghz core duo.

For photoshop I'm sure the mini would be adequate, especially once it becomes a universal binary.
  4. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2006
    with aperture, max out the ram. everything else doesn't require dedicated graphics.

you'll be fine.
  5. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
    Once Photoshop becomes a UB, it'll be perfect for your needs.

In the meantime, you can always try Parallels or Bootcamp if Photoshop is not performing fast enough.