Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NatronB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
My Mac Mini (Tiger, Core Solo, 1 GB RAM) won't boot up. Upon starting up, I just get the Apple logo (which will stay there til the end of time if I let it). Strangely, as it first starts up, my optical mouse will light up and then, a few seconds later, the light will go out. I tried to boot off a startup disc: no dice. I ran a hardware test off the boot CD, that detected no troubles.

Has anyone had any similar problems? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Nate

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
This could be so many things it makes me sad. :(

Easiest way to get past this problem may be to archive and install OS X from your installation DVDs. (A normal installation until you get to the vulumes selection page on which you press customize on the button and check archive and install-incase you weren't aware)

Or if you want you can startup in verbose mode and tell us what's hanging. Once the grey screen (before the apple) comes up hold down command :)apple:) V. The screen will become black with white text. Tell us if what its doing when it stops. You may also find that nothing is wrong and its just taking an exorbitantly long time..

HAVE FUN!!

NatronB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
update

Thanks for the help.

Booted up in verbose mode, here's the last line: "USB caused wake event (EHCI)."

Tried booting up in safe mode: no dice.

Plugged in my PB G4 12" Rev. A, and booted using target disk mode. Was able to back up everything that's changed since my last backup.

Ran disk utility, performed first aid successfully, rebooted the mini: still nothing.

Here's where it gets interesting: ran the OSX install disc (which is in the mini's drive) from the PB. On restart got the "we are hanging here..." kernal panic. Thing is my PB doesn't have a working optical drive.

Suppose my next option is to wipe the mini's hard drive. Does anyone have any suggestions in order to prevent from having to do this?

Thanks again, -Nate

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
There's still a lot of different things it could be... :(

Is the RAM from Apple? Do you have any third party peripherals still plugged in? It might be time to take it back to Apple.

NatronB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
I unplugged everything except the display and tried to boot: no luck. It's still under warranty, so I think I'll take it to Apple, see what they can do (like gimme a new Core Duo).

Thanks for the help, -Nate

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Your saying that you booted your PB off your mini that was in TargetD mode? If it booted then wiping the mini's drive probably won't do much but waste time.

Could you clarify the install disc / boot situation? The machine booted off the hardware test disc, but not the install DVD? Did you hold down C, and try holding down the option key and then selecting the disc?

Failing that we could be looking at a hardware problem. The last line might suggest a USB problem. I'm not familiar with the PPC minis, but that could require a replacement logic board. If its still AppleCared, taking it in is your best option. That's what you paid for anyways..lol

Kudos on backing everything up asap, its crazy how many don't think to do that.

Edit: I think I was wrong suspecting USB issues. Have you tried resetting the PMU? http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300574

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Whatever you do, don't try a reinstall of OSX. Reinstalls won't fix any problem you are likely to have, and can easily make the situation worse. If you've got a hardware problem, then the reinstall could easily fail part way through -- now you've got bad hardware and an unbootable drive, which is hardly an improvement!

You are doing the right thing by backing up and seeking help from Apple. Hardware is the most likely culprit, either motherboard or RAM (even if the RAM came from Apple).

NatronB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
Could you clarify the install disc / boot situation? The machine booted off the hardware test disc, but not the install DVD? Did you hold down C, and try holding down the option key and then selecting the disc?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300574

Sure thing. When I put the boot/ install disc (ie: the one that came with the machine) and hold down the C key, nothing happens. When I hold down the D key, I can successfully run a hardware test (which reveals nothing). Holding down the option key gives me a choice between the drive and the disc, but when I select the disc, nothing happens.

I haven't tried resetting the PMU, that's the first thing I'll do when I get home.

Thank you very much, you guys have been very helpful.

-Nate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.