Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macmaniac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apple is making its push into India
Having remained a high-end player for years, Apple on Tuesday launched 'Mac Mini' in India at a price point of Rs 32,200 to address the entry-level market.

Mac Mini is primarily aimed at existing PC users who want to get started with Mac OS X and first time users, head of hardware products at Apple Asia Pacific E Y Yeo told newspersons in New Delhi.

"With an attractive price point we want to attract more PC users to Mac Mini," he said. Apart from low priced Mac, Apple also launched a new iPod -- iPod Shuffle.

The two models of iPod Shuffle are priced at Rs 8,500 and Rs 12,400, almost half of what the existing models of iPod cost.

After bringing the prices of Mac and iPod down, Apple has drawn up a strategy to increase its reach in the market.

"With these new products we will look at much greater variety of shops and more channels to make our products more accessible," Yeo said.

Mac Mini comes loaded with Mac OS X and features iLife 05, a latest version of Apple's software suite for managing digital photo and music collection.

The company also launched 1Life 05 along with the newest version of its office software iWork 05. Both iWork and iLife have been priced at Rs 4,710.

The company also announced availability of latest version of video-editing application Final Cut Express HD.

The 1.25 GHz Mac Mini includes:

1. 25 GHz PowerPC G4 processor;
256MB of 333 MHz DDR SDRAM, expandable to 1GB;
40GB Ultra ATA hard drive;
Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) optical drive;
ATI Radeon 9200 graphics processor with 32MB video memory;
One FireWire 400 and two USB 2.0 ports;
10/100 BASE-T Ethernet networking and 56K V.92 modem;
Internal support for AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth;
DVI or VGA out (adapter included), composite/S-video out with optional adapter; and
Built-in speaker and headphone/line out.
2. The 1.42 GHz Mac Mini includes:

1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 processor;
256MB of 333 MHz DDR SDRAM, expandable to 1GB;
80GB Ultra ATA hard drive;
Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) optical drive;
ATI Radeon 9200 graphics processor with 32MB video memory;
One FireWire 400 and two USB 2.0 ports;
10/100 BASE-T Ethernet networking and 56K V.92 modem;
Internal support for AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth;
DVI or VGA out (adapter included), composite/S-video out with optional adapter; and
Built-in speaker and headphone/line out.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
"Debuted" is such a strong word when shipping times probably range from 4 to 6 weeks. ^_^

I find it ironic that on Apple's frontpage, the Mini is advertised to be "Now Shipping", but when you actually go to the web store, shipping is 3-4 weeks away. *sigh*

Dear Santa, please bring Apple more assembly lines. They'be been real nice all year.

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
srobert said:
"Debuted" is such a strong word when shipping times probably range from 4 to 6 weeks. ^_^

I find it ironic that on Apple's frontpage, the Mini is advertised to be "Now Shipping", but when you actually go to the web store, shipping is 3-4 weeks away. *sigh*

Dear Santa, please bring Apple more assembly lines. They'be been real nice all year.

Hah, well since there is no online Apple store for us here in India, "shipping times" make no sense! But there is an Apple Centre (dedicated Apple retailer) here in Bangalore, and there are some other retailers in other cities as well. However, Apple has a HUGE way to go in India, most people here have never seen or heard of a Mac. And my friends who know I have a PowerBook have all asked me why I spent so much money on a computer, when actually it cost about the same as any other computer with the same specs.

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
srobert said:

Hah, well since there is no online Apple store for us here in India, "shipping times" make no sense! But there is an Apple Centre (dedicated Apple retailer) here in Bangalore, and there are some other retailers in other cities as well. However, Apple has a HUGE way to go in India, most people here have never seen or heard of a Mac. And my friends who know I have a PowerBook have all asked me why I spent so much money on a computer, when actually it cost about the same as any other computer with the same specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.