Mac Mini decent ripper

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Psychic Shopper, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Psychic Shopper macrumors member

FWIW
    I Just got my 1.42 MHZ Mac Mini and began importing CD's into Itunes. The first track imports at about 6.5 speed and by the end of the CD the tracks are being ripped at 9.8. This is the best overall ripping speed of any computer I've ever owned(B&W G3,533MHZ G4) I imported at 192. I'm pretty happy with the results. Look out 80 gig harddrive!
    As an interesting sidenote, Mercury Rev's CD "Yer self Esteem" as 80 "spacer tracks" each 4 seconds long, rippers beware

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

those arent bad speeds, and are pretty close to what i get on my powerbook

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

My Mini has hit 16x but sustains a 11-12x pretty good. I only rip at 128 so that may account for the difference. I was very pleased with those speeds as I was able to finish importing my CDs in one night. A process I have been trying to complete for about a year.

4. krollster macrumors member

My 1.42 mini rips pretty quickly as well, except I've had a problem with the combo drive not reading music cds. The two that I had the biggest problem with were U2's best of (1980-1990) and GNR Use Your Illusion vol 1. (the latter necessitating a restart - there goes the 26 days uptime record) They are both old cds so there shouldn't be any copy protection right?

I'm interested to know if anyone else has had issues with their mini and if so, what workarounds there might be.

Cheers

5. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Wow, i'm surprised its not ripping faster. My 1.4GHz eMac has hit a max of 18x, but on average rips at 14-16x. Of course, the speed difference might be because of the laptop optical drive in the Mini vs. a full desktop drive in the eMac.

6. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

More likely a difference of the laptop hard drive versus the desktop hard drive.

7. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Those are terrible speeds. I've used Mac minis @ 1.25GHz and they get like 15x-16x. A 1.25GHz eMac I use and my 1.2GHz iBook get around 17x-18x. However, once in a great while, I run across a CD that doesn't seem to rip as fast as every other one does, and of course it also depends on what encoding you use. If I encode with Apple Lossless, I usually get around 35x on my iBook (I guess this is because it doesn't have to compress the data as much). The first speeds I mentioned are encoding at 192Kbps MP3.

8. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I don't know the speeds but it took me under 2 minutes to import Green Day's American Idiot to my machine...

9. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

that's fairly odd. i get at most 10x when ripping audio cd's to my computer. is that cause i use error correction when reading cds?

10. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Yep! Having error correction turned on will certainly slow down the reading of the CD.

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Just as a point of comparison, the DVD DL drive in my Sony VGC-RA910G PC rips CDs at up to 36.0x. (I've actually seen it hit that speed on many occasions.)