Mac mini delays looking like iPod mini's did...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jsw, Jan 13, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

In two days, the Mac mini has gone from delivery on January 22nd to a "3-4 weeks" shipping window.

Sounds a bit like another mini did a year ago....

Any guesses as to how high the delay will reach?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

With the target customer base being switchers, it'd better not get too long a wait, 3-4 weeks is more than bad enough if you ask me. WTF is it with Apple and actually delivering their products on time :rolleyes:

3. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

You can't blame Apple - how were they supposed to know that there would be demand for this? I'm sure it's all the fault of 3rd party manufacturing partners, since, you know, there's so much new tech involved. :rolleyes:

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

5. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Tried ordering one lastnight and just said screw it when they told me the wait time. Ill try again sometime when the demand isnt so high or Tiger is released.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

MacMall still says January 22nd, but perhaps they pre-ordered a stash of them or something.

As for Apple delays, they probably could have announced G5 PowerBooks, since by the time people would have expected them to actually have a supply, they could design and build them.

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

This news is a downer. :( For switchers. :p

Apple and they manufacturers, need to get they act together. It seems they have not learnt from the past. I see more people getting fired or demoted for this. :(

Oh well good thing I am not in the market for this. :)

By the time this is actually shipped to customers it will have Tiger already installed on it. :D

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I don't even want to think how long of a wait a PowerBook G5 will have. :p

When it is announced either grab the floor model or place an order no less than 1 second after the Keynote ends. :)

9. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Waits for Apple prouducts are even worse if your not in the USA. Like for example, when the 3G iPod was released there was atleast a 6 week wait just so my local reseller could get them into Canada. So i bought my iBook instead. Now this... Guess ill end up getting a new iBook or iMac for instant gratifcation... Maybe thats Apples angle on this one. Upsell us by not having an available product.

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    At least, unlike the iPod mini, they released worldwide this time. :)

11. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

But makes it worse with more demand.

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You need to place your order during the keynote... just keep refreshing Apple.com until the new G5 PowerBooks appear.

13. hartsft macrumors newbie

its fate man

a cheap mac?- its never gonna ship!

14. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Yeah said that for me too ..

Well I just did it, Actually I probably overdid it.

I Ordered from Apple

Mac mini 1.42
    512mb Ram
    Airport Extreme Card
    80GB HD
    Superdrive (I'm not sure why I did this just figured I would regret not getting this later)
    I took the 3yr warranty which I figured on a device this small warranted $149 bucks

Total $853& 149 for the Warrantee

Of course I then ordered a Pair of klipsch 2.0 Pro for $99 did'nt have to do that but heard good things...

My PC server will house my Itunes Music but I'll share it thru the Mac. I also have a 300GB External Drive i built for my Lappy, can I use that with the Mac as well? It's USB 2.0

So Welcome to the Mac world.

15. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Yes you will be able to use it with the Mini, although you may need a USB hub, if you don't already have one as the Mini only has two USB posts.

16. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Bought a 4 port one for now

17. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Ordered today (from the UK) shipping on or before 11 Feb. Not too bad as none are shipping to the UK before the 29th Jan.

18. white1827 macrumors newbie

Ha! at least I'm not the only tool

I cancelled my mac mini preorder and picked up an iBook instead. I'm glad I'm not the only consumer zombie out there.

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

What amazes me is that so many don't seem to realize just how hard it is to project demand. Add to that the Mac mini is not easily user upgradeable from some of the reports we are hearing.

The only way Apple might have saved delays was to do an ideal config, and offer that as the only option (IMO 512mb, 40gb HDD, combo CD/DVD, and AE). Sort of the Model T of computers, and offered BTO once demand had been met.

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

at least it makes some sense to have a _little_ bit to much demand
    3-4 weeks ain't that bad like it was with the ipod mini (which was even delayed for another month in europe half a year later the annoucement)

and don't forget ...demand isn't the same everywhere
    the stock ones are still at 29th here in austria and germany so the buzz haven't catched that much steam...always take it's time... (my BTO says on/before 17/2)

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

There was a thread here that linked to future PB G5s. The link showed that the Mac mini is slated at 100K units a month. Pretty darn good start IMO for an "also ran" in the computer market. I can see Apple looking for more capacity as time and demand goes on. But not early in the game.

22. emw macrumors G4

emw

True, but you'd think they'd get better at it by now. We've almost always faced demand issues with Apple products.

23. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

"Available January 22nd" means that the first buyer gets his on this date. :p

The rest of the customers get the usual 2 months wait..... :(