1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Mac Mini digital optical port?? where is it

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by th3g1z, Apr 3, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

I just got my first Mac.. a Mac Mini.. I'm a long time Windows/Linux user but I thought I'd chart some uncharted territory.. anyway.. some issues..

I had read on apple.com that it says on http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

"Built-in speakers, combined optical digital audio input/audio line in, combined optical digital audio output/headphone out"

But on the back of my mac mini I only have a headphone output jack and the same for the input, where is the optical output... how would I make this work with my 5.1 surround sound system? Right now its just in Stereo mode which is driving me nuts b/c its not taking full capability of my sound system

Is there something I'm missing? Or is there some kind of USB adapter that can give me a real optical/coax digital output?

Thanks in advance for any help

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. macrumors newbie

awesome thanks man... hey another quick question that maybe you know the answer to, or anyone for that matter...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10423&cs_id=1042301&p_id=966&seq=1&format=2

thats a digital optical cable splitter, does anyone know how that works? is there a switch or something to designate which input you want to use or do you just only turn 1 input on at a time? what happens if both inputs are live will they both play simultaneously?

4. macrumors 6502a

Leon Kowalski

"This device allows you to connect one toslink optical digital audio source device
    to two different receiving devices such as a A/V receiver and a television. This
    adapter is designed to split a single signal into two. It will not combine two signals
    into one. It is generally a one direction adapter.

If you need to have two source devices go into a single input on a reciever, then
    you need a switch. In that case try PID# 2946."

...when all else fails, READ the product description,

LK