Mac Mini display and password reset problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macnvrbck, Jan 13, 2006.

1. macnvrbck macrumors regular

Sep 18, 2005
    I just got a Mac Mini 1.42/256MB/80GB from Best Buy for $339. (Open Box, no iLife disk, or DVI-VGA adaptor).

1. I hooked it up to my 20.1' Widescreen Sceptre X20G - NAGA III (Costco, $379) and it seems to be having MAJOR display problems. After a few minutes intermittent horizontal lines began to appear that get worse by the minute. Then when making small changes (printer for example) the screen goes completely blank (as if the monitor loses input) and comes back a few seconds later. This now is happening just when moving the mouse an inch. (It alsmost seems as if the VRAM cannot keep up.)

2. The previous owner had the password set. I have found the forum with instructions on how to reset the password using the OS X disk, but this is a Mac Mini from at least May 05 and comes with OS X 10.3 and a upgrade disk to 10.4. Is the password reset still possible? When I put both disks in, not much happens. Even when clicking the icons.

All these troubles having me thinking I should just take it back and buy referb directly from Apple. But with the great price I got on this I am not sure what to do.

Assistance is greatly appreciated.
  2. macnvrbck thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 18, 2005