mac mini dual display

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by elkoreano, Jun 20, 2005.

1. elkoreano macrumors newbie

anyone know if they will ever make this happen?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Will Apple completely re-engineer the Mini to accommodate dual video? Not likely.

This company http://www.trittonsales.com/products/TRIUV100.htm is working on a USB 2.0 video connection for Mac - first samples reputedly sometime in July, we're a distributor for them so I'll be beta testing the first one into Canada...

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

looks interesting but i guess it will take quite a bit of cpu time

4. Leeloo the 5th macrumors member

Leeloo the 5th

Be sure tu tell us about your experience with it, I'd be interested in going dual display with my mini.

5. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

maybe its my ignorance... but why would you want 2 displays on a mini... in my eyes I woud get a mini as backup system, maybe iTunes server, Printerserver, something like that...

but than again... I allready work on my G5 so maybe other people use the mini as main system and want it still...

but Apple will not build this...

6. Leeloo the 5th macrumors member

Leeloo the 5th

Quite right :) I have a mini as a main machine, and I'm very happy with it! But I've experienced the coolness of dual screens when writing a paper: word processor on one screen, pdf articles on the other one. Other people have other reasons, I'm sure.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Just get the 20" (or larger) Widescreen ACD or Dell 2005FPW LCD. Plenty of room to have both apps side by side. The dell can regularly be had for around $400-450.

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I don't understand why people don't think of mini's as a main computer. They think of them as a "wimpy" no-good computer. No offense meant at all. Look at half of the users on these boards and they have Quicksilvers such as myself which are actually slower than a Mini. A mini would actually probably seem fast to me, but I can't justify the purchase of one because this computer seems awfully fast to me as well. I would definitely use a Mini as a main computer, though, because it's very cool and quite. Maybe I should try to trade mine for a mini. ^_^

9. Leeloo the 5th macrumors member

Leeloo the 5th

Yeah, I've been looking into the Dell 20" widescreen when I had to buy a screen, but unfortunately they're a lot more expensive over here. We don't have coupons like there are on some US or Canadian sites. Sometimes there's a discount on the Dell site itself, but you have to be lucky or patient...
    But anyway, I don't have the physical space to have two screens right now, so the idea of having two screens on my mini would be for later, when I move into a new place. And by then, the solutions to do it (see above) would probably be available. In the meantime, I'm very happy with my mini and my 17" Ultrasharp digital Dell.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yeah, you wouldn't use it for DVD playback, but for relatively static screens like the pallettes for your graphics/audo/video production software, it looks promising.