Mac Mini External Hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pulsewidth947, Jun 27, 2006.

1. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I cant seem to find any form fitted Mac Mini external disks in the UK. Well thats not true, Apple sell the Iomega MiniMax, but the reviews say its noisy. I really wanted a LaCie Mini + hub, but you cant get them ANYWHERE! Cept from Germany on eBay, 500GB which is too expensive.

So.. does anyone know of an external drive with built in usb/firewire hub thats quiet and about 250GB?

Sorry if this topic has been flogged to death :)

:EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm not put off with the idea of getting a casing and putting a harddrive in that, if anyone knows a nice quiet drive? So long as it looks like the mini and has a hub :) (yes i want the moon on a stick)

2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Well... I would wait until Lacie UK has them back in stock. Can't be too long, can it? Drop them an email and see if you can wait however long they estimate. Since you specifically want a hub and a drive all-in-one, I guess I would recommend getting a Mini form-factor one, rather than the Lacie d2 that I have. You may just have to sit tight for a bit :rolleyes:

3. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Moon on a stick

Good reference to Fist of Fun. I stupidly passed up the opportunity to see Richard Herring's standup tour in Winchester the other day. Some people I know have also started Moon on a Stick Promotions (seehttp://www.myspace.com/moononastickgigs

Have you tried asking around at http://www.byodkm.net/ about the hard drives for Mac Mini? I'm looking for one myself (after I get paid this Friday).

Actually, Gordon Hardwood has a whole page of them:
    http://www.ghc.co.uk/acatalog/Mac_mini_Companion_Hard_Disk_Drives.html

4. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I actually ordered from LaCie and they told me they are out of stock and they have no idea when they will be available (wtf?! they ARE LaCie!). Its like that with every company I've tried. Going to try Gordon Harwood this afternoon, but I'm not too optimistic. Companies say its "In stock", when actually they mean "We don't have any stock, but we want your money anyway, so wait a couple of weeks while we desperately try and find one" :p

I phoned Gordon Harwood, they dont have any of the drives with hubs in stock. Theres a surprise :)
    Yeah I know what you mean about the D2. They are brilliant drives but they just don't look great sat next to the mini

Yeah fist of fun was awesome :)

5. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

RESOLUTION!

I was brainstorming thinking of other companies, and I remember we deal with Jigsaw Systems here at work. A quick phone call to a friendly bloke called Rob, and theres one winging its way to my work address tomorrow for just shy of £120 (250GB) inc. VAT and delivery. Needless to say I'm rather chuffed :)

6. thumb macrumors 6502

7. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I tried looking for the ministack in the UK, couldnt find it. The design isnt quite as good as the LaCie (no air gap between mini + hd)

Could probably have got one delivered from USA, but then you're liable for hefty postage + import tax... :(

:Edit: Arived this morning before I got to work, awesome! The design is actually better than the pictures imply. You have the ports for connecting to your Mac Mini at the back + power supply, then the 2 Firewire ports are on the left hand side, while the 3 USB ports are on the right. Thats some smart thinking :)