1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Mac Mini FACTS: Warranty not voided

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by panphage, Jan 13, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

By installing your own RAM: http://www.tuaw.com/entry/1234000917027372/

Or HDD, or optical drive.

The source: The Mac Mini product manager (whatever that is, sounds official.)

Oh, and I was wrong elsewhere about the bluetooth and airport, if you get them later, you DO have to buy the kit because they need special connectors to hook directly to the mobo.

2. macrumors 68000

slipper

i dont know how reliable this is and i would consult with an apple certified technicial first. However, if its true, that would be great considering the Mac Mini has a mediocre 4200rpm 2.5" HDD.

3. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

All I want to know is what size HD do they use. It can't be a standard desktop drive which means the # of high cap 7400 RPM drives is going to limited.

I still think this sounds fishy. If they wanted it to be easily accessable by the user they would have made the shell more user friendly. As it stand it looks like its heald together the same way the PowerBook is - with clips.

4. macrumors 6502

Laurie Duncan is the owner and godess of http://www.cubeowner.com. If she isn't reliable we can't rely on the sun to rise tomorrow. Trust me, she's not making it up. AND she's an Apple Certified Technician. Or an apple authorized service provider. Or something like that, I forget which one it is.

5. macrumors 601

virividox

well good to know that adding ram doesnt void the warranty, allows you do do things cheaper thankfully

6. macrumors 6502

It's a 2.5 Someone (I forgot where, but I saw the screenshot) was at the show and got a screenshot of the system profiler with the HDD part # on it. It's a 2.5, 4200rpm

7. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No offence, but that doesn't appease me in any way. :p

I'd still rather have them install it, especially if the top cap was much too difficult to remove. I'd say the same thing if I owned an iPod Mini and I found some way of getting a 3rd party battery and installing it myself.....I wouldn't even know where to start.

If someone finds a very simple way to install RAM in a Mac Mini, then great, but even the methods described as "simple" for some seem difficult. Anyone ever read sites that discussed ways of "easily" changing/painting the colour of your iBook? ;)

8. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Woah. That's going to be the first thing I upgrade. A 4200RPM drive is going to kill performance. But at least it’s a 2.5” drive. It leaves some OPTIONS :D :D

Thanks for the info.

9. macrumors member

johnpg

Keep in mind that the last rev of the Powerbooks has 4200rpm drives. I suspect this will perform darn close to a 1.25ghz Powerbook. That's my main machine that I use for everything and it serves me well. I think the Mini's will be fine performers for their price.

John

10. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

4200RPM drives don't "kill" performance. Just makes reading/writing a bit slower. And 60GB 7200RPM drives run close to $200 or so.

P.S. my 1Ghz TiBook has a 4200RPM drive and that hasn't slowed me down much at all.

11. macrumors 68040

Daveway

I thought Apple would have used the larger drives considering they are cheaper.

12. macrumors 603

wordmunger

This apple support document indicates that memory "should" be upgraded by an apple-authorized service provider.

The specs page on Apple.com says upgrades "must" be done by an apple-authorized service provider.

13. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

When the stuff shows up here as a Customer Installable Part...

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/

Then you'll know it won't void your warranty.

Otherwise, what will you say when Apple voids the warranty for adding memory when it breaks?

"I read it on MacRumors."

14. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It's not official until it's listed on Apple's Customer Installable Parts list - it usually takes them a few days from the release of a new product to post the info.

edit - Jinx, Sun Baked. :p

15. Moderator emeritus

It's an iBook in a different box. What do you expect?

It should not be awful, just right for the price. :) I'm glad they have decent processors in it and, with Motorola's latest pin-compatible E600 series, they should go much further.

16. macrumors 6502a

Peyote

A few interesting notes from the Apple kbase docs on Mac Mini:

Mac mini comes with a DVI to VGA converter

You can position the Mac mini on it's side vertically, but not on it's front because it blocks the CD slot, and not on its back because it blocks the ports. However if you mounted it to a wall with plenty of space around the front and back, I don't see how this would be a problem. I wonder how the heat inside the case would be effected if it was mounted verically with the cd slot facing up.

Mac mini can use PC3200 RAM, but only at PC2700 speed.

Stacking Mac minis can block the airport and/or BT signals.

Do not stare directly at Mac mini.
    Do not taunt Mac mini.
    Do not use Mac mini on concrete.
    If Mac mini begins to smoke, back away quickly, crouch, and cover head.
    Mac mini is made of an unknown substance that fell to eath from space.
    etc
    etc
    etc

17. macrumors 601

Yvan256

From what I've read, the Mac mini uses a 4200 RPM laptop HD.

Dunno if the machine will overheat if you install a 5400 or 7400 RPM HD (is there such a thing as a laptop 7400 RPM HD?)

18. macrumors 601

Yvan256

I already asked in another forum, but wouldn't an external 3.5" 7200 RPM HD in a FireWire enclose be faster than even an internal 2.5" 5400 RPM HD?

If so, me and my brother will surely buy the basic Mac mini (no point in paying for 170MHz and 40GB of laptop-speed HD), upgrade the RAM ourselves (to 512MB, 1GB is way too expensive for now), and add an external 80GB or so HD in a FireWire enclosure (if I buy a Mac mini, my gaming PC won't ever need anywhere near 80GB... I have lots of HDs around, it'll probably get a 40GB, or two 20GB or even four 10GB... Who cares, it's only for gaming). :D

19. macrumors 601

Yvan256

The Mac mini uses a 2.5" laptop hard disk, which are a lot more expensive than regular 3.5" desktop drives.

20. macrumors 601

Yvan256

Except for the fact that the Mac mini isn't in the drop-down list...

21. macrumors 603

solvs

Aw, you beat me to it. :p Just read this on Accelerate Your Mac. If it is should and not must, I may consider this after all. Newegg has some 1GB sticks for around ~$160, and a new laptop drive isn't that much. Either a big 5400 or a faster 7200. I'd go external firewire for DV anyway, but a nice Seagate 100GB drive would be nice as a startup disk. I can overlook the crappy gfx card since I don't game, and would do little beyond iMovie and the basics. I'm already convincing a friend to get one, as the basic model will do fine for her needs. But I might still wait to see what happens with the next P'Book or eMac.

Who's going to be the first to say they're waiting for rev. B (if it hasn't already been said)?

Edit: almost forgot, I have a friend who's a developer. He has a last gen 1GHz iBook and Tiger. Says it's getting faster with each new release. He's got 768MB of RAM, but it's the same video card and slower FSB. So I'm still interested. Most of Core Image may work after all, kinda like how Apple said QE was for 32MB cards, but then they said it would work on 16MB Radeons.

We shall see...

22. macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I really hope we'll see a port replicator type thingie for this new mini.

I'd love to have a 1" or less tall device in the same shape and style as the mini, that gives you 1 FW, 2 USB, and 1 audio port on the front side. Similar to the iMac G4 "UFO". Just run very short "jumper" cables from the back of the device to the mini, and make the device replicate those ports on the front side. Use a tiny blue LED for each port (except Audio) that lights up when something is plugged in. You could even go so far as to put a memory card reader on the side, or a hard drive in the inside of the device. Maybe even an audio in port on the front. Kind of a device that does it all.

Hmmmm I've got a 24 x 24 x 1" slab of aluminum in my garage....if I only had a CNC mill.

23. macrumors 6502a

Peyote

That's what he's saying.

24. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Umm yes they do. Go to any site that benchmarks hard drives. Even www.barefeats.com I can tell you from practical experience that that I/O you are taking about can and DOES hit a system hard. I routinely upgrade users home systems. These are the $300-$500 PC's you hear about. They generally use 4200 drives. Ditto with cheaper low end PC laptops. In every case upgrading to a 5400 or 7200 (Thank you god.) drive kicks up the performance a notch. What? You think your entire OS, every program, every data file, resides in RAM? If you looking for the best performance on any system, be it PC or Mac, stay away from 4200 drives. They WILL drag your system performance down. Period.
    If you want to talk sexy though try one of the new SATA 10,000 RPM drive. Trust me. Once you go 10K you won't ever want to go back.

25. macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Pokemon Mac mini?

I'd prefer a 6.5" square FW case that would fit one or two 3.5" HDDs (and of course stack perfectly underneath the Mac Mini). The drives could be oriented east-west with the bridgeboard and fan(s) to the south.