Mac mini file server setup advice needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PkennethV, Oct 29, 2006.

1. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I will be getting a mac mini in a few weeks and would like to be using it as a file server. I've never done anything like this before so I need some suggestions on programs I need to make this happen. Is it possible to have my music and videos in my iTunes library on an EHD hooked up to a mac Mini and have my PowerBook/MacBookPro acess them thorugh a wireless network? If that is possible when I sync my ipod (videos too), can I plug it in to my laptop or will it need to sync with the Mac Mini since that is the computer with the EHD hooked up to. Can I do the same with my iPhoto library? If this works out then it would be great because I can free up 40GB of music photos, and videos on my portables. How might I set this up?
    thanks for all suggestions

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It is definitely possible to use an external drive.

Copy your iTunes (and/or iPhoto) library folder(s) to the external drive. Hold down the 'option' key while starting iTunes. It'll ask you for a library location. Choose the external.

This will work on any Mac with the external drive mounted. To automatically mount the external, the easiest way to do so is to mount it manually once (in Finder, press ⌘-K to connect to the mini, choose the external, and mount it), then go to System Preferences...->Accounts->Login Items, then drag the mounted disk's icon to that panel. From then on, it'll automount.

3. JAT macrumors 603

My Mini boots off an external drive in the first place. Firewire, of course, a 400GB. I just use the internal for testing and Windows via Boot Camp. But if you only have 40GB total to share right now, this would likely fit on the internal drive if you get at least an 80GB. At least to start, you can always add drives later.

Since I already have a wireless network with my DSL modem, iTunes and other networking was essentially already done when I went to set this up. No extra software needed.

You just have to turn on sharing (and tweak settings) in iTunes, iPhoto, and System Prefs. Assuming you are using iPhoto for sharing pics.

I think the iPod would have to go direct to the Mini.

4. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

I already have an external drive which I plug into my PowerBook. I'd also like to know if I plugged the EHD to the MacMini, would the wirless connection (MacMini to the portables) be fast enough to stream vids from the EHD?

5. JAT macrumors 603

Depends on the video. I think 802.11n would be necessary for smooth HD video. This is just a wireless question at this point, the computers in question shouldn't matter much. And not the Firewire connection to the EHD.

6. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will Windows computers be able to acess the file wirelessly too?

7. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Yes. Windows networking works great.

8. ironjaw macrumors 6502

Just a quick question what if two macs are connected to the mounted itunes? If Mac A deletes a file in itunes would Mac B be able to see the change?

9. JAT macrumors 603

Yes, if you delete from iTunes, that is shared instantly and vanishes on all networked computers. I think only the computer serving iTunes is able to delete.

10. twomiracles macrumors regular

Bumping this back up because I am not quite sure I understand. HOW do I copy the library? I tried copy but it wouldn't let me paste to the EHD. I haven't done anything in iPhoto, yet, because I don't want it to import my photos. I want iTunes to work the same way, I have a little Firefly that I keep the files on, I just want to be able to play them on the Mac. So, this sounds like the setup I want, but I need some really plain English to help me get it done...please?

11. twomiracles macrumors regular

Never mind. I found a tut on how to do both of these things already...thanks, though, sorry for bumping it up!