Mac Mini for £201 from Apple

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by nelwd, Apr 12, 2005.

1. nelwd macrumors newbie

With the release of Tiger, the real cost of a Mini is only £201 Sterling. Think about it, the base model costs £339, but includes iLife 05 (£49) and will come with Tiger (£89). If you want the software, then for £201 you get a brand new mac to go with it! :)

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

OK, I'm gonna take a SLIGHT objection to your logic. You posit that a Mac mini can be had for £201, which is the base price (£339) of the machine, less the cost of iLife (£49) and the cost of Tiger (£89).

Unfortunately, the problem is that iLife is FREE with the purchase of a Mac mini. So is the OS, either Panther or Tiger. As far as I am aware, you can't buy a Mac mini without either of these items... and you can't take the OS from your Mac mini and install it on a different machine (not legally, anyway).

3. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

True. However thats the sort of fuzzy logic we have to apply in rip-off Britain, helps us feel as if we are getting a good deal.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Also remember that your copy of the OS and iLife are legally tied to that Mini (yes you can install on multiple machines, but it's illegal).

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's some twisted logic, and a seriously misleading thread title :rolleyes:

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Observation

It has been my experience that "free" add-ons are never truly free, you pay for them somewhere.
    Similar to how Sports Illustrated gives you a "free" gift, but only if you sign up for a year subscription. Now, I may not want a years worth, but I have no choice. Either pay the newstand price every other week or sign up for a year.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I hoped that Apple had started selling refurbs already! I would quite like another Mini...

8. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Man you should have seen the smile on my face drop when i saw the thread title. Having only bought my mini last month, already feeling wounded about not getting tiger...

Luckily its irrelevant :D

9. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Although the title is fairly misleading I still think this is a useful train of thought. It applies to people who are thinking about upgrading an old iMac G3/iMac G4/eMac to have iLife 05 and Tiger. Basically for the extra £200 odd quid you can have a new machine.