Mac Mini for Field Recording [or iBook]

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by atacinus, Jan 13, 2005.

1. atacinus macrumors 6502

Okay, so here.s the deal, I was going to get an iBook for a cheap machine to hook an mBox to and do field recording [the editing will be done on a faster system...this is JUST for the recording part]. But now, I see the mac mini, and I think, I could buy that, put 512mb RAM in it, and hook it up to a $70 15" television for on the set recording [shooting a low budget film on 16mm this summer just an FYI].

Anyone see any pros/cons for the mini or for the iBook?

Mark.

Let me re-iterate though, THIS MACHINE IS JUST FOR RECORDING...I could care less about using it for anything else.

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

iBook can run on Battery power, while the Mac mini does not.

Could be a hassle. :)

3. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

Not really though, because I already have to a generator etc. for lights, camera equipment etc. Plust the battery is not going to last long running a USB powered device with six mics. plugged into it...even if i had the iBook, I would use the AC...any other ideas? Does everyone think this would be fine on a small TV? If I set the resolution to say 800x600 or similar?

Mark.

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I still would not recommend using a TV. A TV SD is used for production to see what your work will look like on SD and HD tv sets.

Trying to use a TV as a main display is just crazy on so many grounds, considering the resolution alone.

Either but an iBook (of on a budget) or a PowerBook (when updated).

The Mac mini is not good for this purpose. :)

5. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, but the thing is [besides money!] that the only reason I need a display is to basically open the program, and click the record button. Which I think works fine in this case...I mean, it.s an extra 500 dollars for the iBook.

Mark.

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

In that case, go with the Mac mini, since all you are doing is opening up and application to press Start and Stop. Basically a view finder in a sense. :)

7. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

iBook or sorry for mentioning this the PB G5. :)

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

This thread creator does not have enough money for an iBook 12" let alone a PB 12".

PBG5 is getting old lets move on to PBG6 discussion. :)

9. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

Well let.s not be crazy...it.s not that I don.t have the money...i.d just rather spend it buying higher quality microphones, or a better quality film stock. I think I.m going to go with the Mac Mini...512 RAM...should be nice...i.m going to wait till the Apple store has it though...I hate ordering online...it.s too impersonal.

Mark.

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I have a better idea. Let us wear out the PB G7 so that when we finally get to that point, we will have forgotten all about the ancient rumors and silly guesses that we made. I say it takes another 15 years minimum to get a PowerBook G7. Where is it Apple? Where!?!?!