Mac Mini for iTunes server, NAS, etc.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by kingpikey, Mar 17, 2008.

1. macrumors member

I'm looking to replace my current setup with a Mac Mini for torrent downloading, media serving, etc. As well as some new features like a consolidated shared iTunes library, Time Machine (for the mini and my MBP), and possibly a few other things.

Should I stick it out and keep hoping for the update, or pick one up and deal with it? I also plan on getting a Mac Pro this summer, so the Mini will primarily be a small, quiet, low power machine that will run 24/7. What are your thoughts?

2. macrumors 6502a

If that's all you're going to be using the mini for, than get the cheapest refurb you can find. It really doesn't take much power to run a simple server like that.

3. macrumors 6502

At this point - wait. Intel is discontinuing the 65nm Core 2 chips that power the Mini (and the iMac still). Once stock is cleared out, Apple will be forced to either update the Mini or discontinue it. Refurbs are a good choice regardless though - the price is unbeatable.

4. thread starter macrumors member

I also want to hook it up to my 1080p tv in the living room... can the mac mini push 1080p content well?

5. macrumors 6502a

That certainly changes things and voids my previous post. If you're going to have this hooked up to a TV, then I wouldn't go for the cheapest refurb you can find. As for 1080p, it's not a simple yes or no answer. It depends on the type of content you will be displaying (mpeg2, H.264, etc). I've never done it, and could be wrong, but I understand that a mini can push 1080p mpeg2, but cannot handle 1080p H.264. If you want to use this to play 1080p content, then I wouldn't recommend using a mini unless it gets a serious update. Hopefully, someone will come on here and prove me wrong.

Checkout the Mac HTPC forum over at avsforum.com.

6. macrumors 604

Cave Man

I've added a couple of words to your otherwise correct statement.