Mac Mini for Logic Pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by kjartan, Sep 22, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2005
    With the small performance boost this coming week, would a 1.5 GHz Mac Mini be powerful enough to run Apple's Logic Pro? I'll be putting a gig of RAM into it of course. Apple tends to have very small system requirements (a single G4 processor), and ridiculously high system *recomendations*--far beyond the requirements (dual G5's).

Any help you could throw at me would be much appreciated!

2. macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    It's going to be slow with 1 Gig of Ram at 1.5 GHz for some things. It'll be okay until you really start mixing and editing and adding lots of tracks.
  3. macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    Well, the Minimum requirements apple set is so you can just RUN the program. Obviously its going to be slow on a mini, but if you are actually serious about audio stuff, you would get a powermac g5. Mini's shouldn't be used with pro apps. the iMac g5, is the bottom of the line (in my opinion) to run pro apps. (Funny I'm trying to get a iMac g5...)
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2005

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. I was looking at the Mini to perhaps save some cash, but skimping out on power/performance probably isn't the best choice. Portability is a big issue here. A friend of mine and I are starting an electronica group, and we'll be taking it to gigs and practice areas and such. The G5 iMac would probably suit us best. Pricing out a top-of-the-line Mini, monitor, keyboard and mouse is almost gonna add up to an iMac anyway.

Thanks for the help!
  5. macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2005
    Hong Kong
    How does the 15" Powerbook with 1.5gb RAM and 128VRAM handle Logic?

I was just wondering.
  6. Err
    macrumors member

Aug 19, 2005
    the mini will do an alright job with logic, i mean its basicly a headless powerbook, which alot of pro's use, what do you think people mixed on 2 years ago? g4 powermacs. a g5 is not a req to mix music.
  7. macrumors 6502

Jan 21, 2005
    New Zealand
    Exactly - Logic runs perfectly on my 1.67GHz PowerBook and it runs just as well on the 1GHz G4 iMacs at polytech. If you really need to use a lot of instances of plugins, you're doing something very wrong during tracking.
  8. Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Runs fine on my 1Ghz PowerBook, 1Gb RAM, until I start loading the Instrument tracks up or using a lot of the Space designer plug-in or my Altiverb, then it grinds a bit.... :D

Runs well on anything above a 1Ghz G4 really, but you'll notice the hit as your projects get bigger.

If you keep using the "Track freeze" function on your instruments, you'll get a much better return, audio is easier to process than a soft-synth.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2004
    Chicago (by way of SF)
    I have a mini -- don't do it. Make your life less stressful, invest in a more powerful Mac. If its a money issue, then buy the mini, but use other apps. I run several audio programs well on the mini, but nothing at the pro level.