Mac Mini for my Girlfriend?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by UniAce, Jul 26, 2005.

1. UniAce macrumors newbie

I'm planning to get a new Mac Mini for my girlfriend, to upgrade her from her current G3 iMac. I'm trying to decide between the $500 and the $600 model.

She doesn't need wireless, so is it worth the extra $100 for a slightly faster CPU and an extra 40gb of hard drive? Or would it be better to go with the cheaper model (considering I'm also going to have to buy a monitor somewhere) and buy an external HD if the machine ever needs more space? I'm not sure how much an external HD costs right now.

Oh and any advice on a cheap monitor would be appreciated too (what/where to get). I'm thinking maybe a 17" CRT, just because I don't feel like dropping the cash on a flatpanel.

Thanks!

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i'd check craigslist.com for your monitor needs... you can usually find cheap ones there, near major cities...

4. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Depends what she uses her mac for. If its just browsing, emailing, word processing etc, then 40 GB will probably suffice. If she has lots of music/photos/downloads whatever then 80GB is the minimum.

Either way she'd be lucky to blag a free mac mini!

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

If you can afford to set out $700 or so on a gift for your girlfriend (nice guy), I'd imagine the extra hundo the better box will set you back is probably not a huge deal. Always get the best box you can afford. Sure, she's used to the G3 iMac, so just about anything will be faster, but in two or three years, you'll be glad you went with the faster box and larger hard drive.

As for wireless, doesn't need it now vs. won't ever need it are two different things. Don't think you can add in the Airport card easily on the mini after the fact, so getting it now is a good idea.

As for cheap monitors, try eBay if you want really cheap, but you can find 15" and 17" LCDs for about $200 at MacMall.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I hope that your girlfriend realizes she is a very lucky young lady. If you can afford the $600 model, then I don't think you will be sorry. The larger HD may come in very handy. OWC has some very nice external hard drives, mine has performed very well. AppleCare and extra RAM would also be a good idea.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/

7. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Get her the best that money can buy.

That way, when you break up, you can take it with you, and it will be a nice computer for you to have :D

8. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Ruthless!

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It will have better resale value with the 80 Gb and the wireless.