Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
i am going to use my macmini g4 as a ftp / torrent server, i am going to attach at least 5 fw and usb drives, do you think it is a good idea?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Sure, but use non USB powered drives. Mini G4 has poor USB power output. Drives mus have their own power adapters. Rest i.e. CPU and ethernet will do this job very good i think.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
This system is about 2-3 times the power you need for the job you want so no problem.

Also, use self powered drives like 666sheep suggests. The mini's little 110 watt power brick couldn't possibly handle a few USB drives that were USB powered. Maybe one. Personally I stay clear of anything USB powered.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
the only bus powerd device i am using is a usb -> sata converter inside a tower i built to house some drives, but that is on a powered usb hub connected to a 450w atx psu

brayden8181

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Ontario, Canada
This is a good machine for the job, they take up little space and are very quiet machines. I use mine as a file/media server and it works flawlessly. I do agree with the first reply, the mini's cannot handle alot of USB power. I plugged too many devices in and fried a port not sure how because to my knowledge they are all connected, but It happened to me so I guess it's possible!
Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.