Mac Mini Hard drive question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Trout74, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Trout74 macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2005
    it seems to me that its possible that if you get the 40Gig drive in you new Mac mini, that is could be a 5400RPM drive from Seagate, BUT the 80Gig drive is NOT and is of the 4500RPM variety. I have read serveral posts that eluded to the smaller drive maybe being faster.

I bet if its true, the faster HD would over shadow the 170MHZ difference in the CPU, for sure.

is this true??

please fill me in

2. debroglie macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    You have everything mostly correct, except the 80G is a 4200, and it is not guaranteed that every 40G is 5400, it is just some of them.

As far as speed increase, it would boot up faster and open some programs faster, but for the most part the 1.42 would still be faster.

I bought the 1.25, and am planning on installing my own faster HDD.
  3. pncc macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    It may be so that some have received 5400rpm drives in 40GB factor but 4200rpm drives in 80GB factor, but Apple continually changes drive vendors. Your best guarantee of getting a fast drive would be to buy the 40GB model and upgrading yourself to a faster drive. This is not Apple sanctioned, but if you don't break anything, your warranty will NOT be void.